1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another exhaust leak post

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maximike, Feb 8, 2013.

1. maximike

maximike Member

I just noticed last night, since it was cold and I could see exhaust, that I have exhaust coming out the front of my number 4 pipe, not at the head, at the point where the header pipe connects to the next part, I'm not sure if that's considered the collector, or what, but the first joint the header connects to, if that makes sense.

I can feel it coming out at that joint down there even when I can't see vapor. What's that about? Can I re-jigger the connection there? This is a pipe that has some road rash, probably got loosened up at some point, but I've also had the headers completely off before, so it could be my fault.

Might be as simple as just tightening it, I haven't had a chance to really look at it. I think there is a rubber grommet thing going around the pipe there where it tightens, maybe that's not sealing. Not loud or running rough or anything, which seems strange. Shouldn't exhaust leaking out have some side effects?

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

maximike.

I locate all my exhaust bolts and header nuts before I tighten anything. That prevents me from bending or breaking any of the header studs and insures the collars are properly seated against the header gaskets. Make sure your exhaust donut is in there and tighten that bolt(s) . You're losing back pressure. Hope this helps.

Gary

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There are GASKETS at all of the connections; between the four head pipes and the collector box and between the collector box and the mufflers.

If simply tightening the clamps a bit doesn't fix it, then you probably could stand to drop the hole exhaust system; clean and de-rust it, and replace the gaskets. It's not horribly difficult; the gaskets aren't expensive, but--- it's a dirty grubby PIA of a job.

Also, check that the "road rash" didn't break loose one of the (plugged with a little bolt) EGA ports from the underside of the pipe. I have one that I had to repair, it got "snagged" somehow and was torn loose enough to create an exhaust leak.