1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another POD's Post

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by paul.hardy, Jul 21, 2012.

1. paul.hardy

paul.hardy Member

Just finished replacing the head Gasket on my 83 XJ750 to fix an oil leak and against most of the advise givin in this site, brought a cheep set of pod filtes and stuck them on just to see how it would go. well it starts and runs heaps better when cold with coke ,then when it warm up it runs better than with the stsndard air box. However this is the only Xj I have ridden so maybe its running crap and I just don't know. I brought this bike on a whim and don't have much history on it but I think this bike is an Australian model don't think it was realised in the States, It has 4 into 1 headers which may be standard but the muffler is off a Suzuki I think the motor has been rebuilt at some stage as the boar was good no rimming and rings & pistons looked nice & tight.So maybe someone has played with the carbs at some stage as well, anyway I will keep a keen eye on the plugs to see if its leening out. Keep you guys posted if you interested

2. trickedout420

trickedout420 Member

check you valve clearances now...then clean your carbs, check what jets are there...carb synch....then color tune.....and then check to see if your still running to lean

3. paul.hardy

paul.hardy Member

Yes I check the valve clearence which is in spec acording to the Hayes manual. Next step will be making or obtaining a YICS block/ blanking tool and sycing the carbs. as we are comming out of winter here in AUS I would like to get a few rides in before I rip into the carbs. Unless the plugs show she is running real lean and she keeps running OK I'll try and wait till next Winter and do the carbs.