1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Any advice for this trip?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJPilot, Feb 25, 2011.

1. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

So I'm going to be moving out to British Columbia at the beginning of May and after spending all winter rebuilding my Maxim there is no way I'm going to leave it at home all summer. The problem I have is that I don't think my Hyundai Accent can handle towing the bike on a trailer once I hit the mountains (anyone who has done this please correct me). So I'm left with 2 options: buy a larger vehicle that can tow the trailer, or just riding the bike out there (my boss has a staff car that I would be able to use out there if I couldn't ride the bike for whatever reason). Riding the bike out that way at the beginning of May poses some problems with the cold as well so my buddy suggested this...
    [​IMG]

Any advice for certain legs of the trip if I do decide to do this? Packing tips? Constructive discouragement? lol I have places to stay in Charlotte, Pensacola, and Austin, but would be camping through Arizona, Cali, and Utah. Just trying to evaluate my options. Thanks!

2. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

Hmm...well you're avoiding Kentucky, that's a good thing. MAKE SURE to hit the bypass around Baton Rouge, LA or you will regret it. Not sure why you're going all the way over to LA. Not passing though Nevada here?

As for pilot, what do you fly? Most of my hours are in a J-5 Cub, but having a father that's in demand as a warbird mechanic has benefits. 4.5 Gs in a T-28 was fun that one time.

3. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Mate unless thats an incredibly heavy trailer or you are going to stock that trailer with every other thing you HAVE EVER OWNED I dont see any other real problems providing the car is in average nick.
    Seriously the bike wouldnt weigh much more than 200kgs if that.
    Enjoy your trip.

4. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

BlkMage, I was planning LA just cuz I'll be in the relative area and I've never been haha. I've done my share of time in a 172 and piper tomahawk while I was doing my commercial license. Lately it's been in a bellanca scout towing gliders, as well as a 180 on floats last summer working at a fly-in fishing lodge in northern manitoba. A warbird wrencher, eh? That would definitely have its perks I'm sure! I've done a bit of time in a De Havilland Chipmunk as well, that's the closest I've gotten to a warbird so far.

Gunnabuild1, the manual for my car does not specify a towing capacity and specifically states that it SHOULD not be used for towing lol. That being said, yes the bike weighs 420 pounds by the book (just shy of 200 kgs), and the trailer would be another 100 kgs I would think. So I'm debating that as well although my car might require some overhaul work before that too. Thanks for the advice guys.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I wouldn't attempt a trip of that length until you've put the equivalent amount of miles on the bike after the rebuild. You're going to have to "shake it down" and little things will pop up that will need fixing but not be easily fixed on the road.

6. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I remember a trip to Iowa with my dad when I was younger in which he toed a trailer hauling one road bike and one mx bike....with his Dodge Omni and 3 passangers! Granted there were no mountains, but there was about 6" of snow the entire trip, just food for thought.

7. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Yeah, you realllllly have to want to go to LA and have those "tourist traps" lined up for a quick in and out.... It's not bad for the most part, well the air sucks, but the city's fine, you'll know if your in a bad neighborhood real quick. Disneyland always guud, california land is gay. universal studio's is awesome. knott's is different. malibu+ newport- huntington is hip.

Vegas, hit the craps tables, get 20 in chips, wait for the cocktail waitress and get a drink, (gotta have chips for the drinks)) as you enjoy your drinks watch the table. Anyone ask your just "learning the game" but watch. you'll notice the high roller who's winning and start copying his bets with 5 instead of his 50. Start with 1 or 2 bets, after an hour, and 4 or 5 more rounds of free drinks, you'll be playing 7 or 8 bets at a time. If you remember what you were doing keep doing it as you cruise through nevada, stop for a buffet, 20 minutes at the table, pay for the buffet.
    Penny machines on the ends of aisle's are guud too for a quick win if you're waiting for a room or someone else.
    ask about the street shows time's... sometimes they'll stop at 8pm so make sure in case you're heading out at 10pm expecting to see the shows.
    !!!Spearmint Rhino!!..... you'll see why.
    Be ready for some cold weather through arizona and new mexico, temps can drop quick...

those are some opinions/tips on the area that I know of.

8. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

The Spearmint Rhino...you trying to give the guy a heart attack his first time here?!?

9. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Am I missing something here? Your signature says you live in Ontario Province Canada, correct? And is is like just above the state of New York? And you have places to stay in North Carolina, Florida, Texas, etc? Isn't this just about a half continent out of your way?.

If it were me I would plow straight across the southern part of your great country if the forecasted weather is in your favor or else just drive the car and leave the bike at home.

Did I miss something here?????

Loren

10. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

just trying to steer him in the right direction..... and maybe some heart palpatations if he's "Lucky"

wink wink nudge nudge know wot I mean?

11. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

hope your but is ready for that long of a trip. If your cruising at 5500 on the highway your going to go numb quickly. I would run a straight line to your destination come back. get the car and drive it weather wont effect you that way. I have driven 400 miles a day before on a v65 cruised about 3500-3700 rpm. your wore out after a day of it. Let along buzzing on a little bike spinning much higher rpm. Another option go rent a uhaul put the bike in the back with a tow dolly pull the car. Would be cheaper then driving 2 vehicles .But would take the fun out of the ride

12. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

The only reason I'm looking at doing this excessive of a trip is for the epicness haha. As for the U-haul suggestion, with the drop-off in a different province it would cost around 2500 dollars which is significantly more than I would spend doing any of the alternatives. Leaving the bike at home is not an option haha. And the straight run would be fine except for the temperatures at the beginning of may. I am starting to consider towing it with my car more and more, just gonna have to do some work to make sure my car is sound for towing that distance.

13. waldo

waldo Member

Have you thought about shipping it. True that would be one hell of a trip whats the longest ride you done so far? One thing I can tell you is you will have to carry a gas can.

14. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Ya I would have to carry a lot of stuff haha. I'm no stranger to long drives but I haven't done many bike trips which makes me hesitant to head out on an 8 day marathon...

15. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

This time of year, ... looking at THAT route ... fresh off a rebuild???

Get a Pencil and Ruler.
    Put one end of ruler at the start point, ...
    The other end where you're going.
    Draw a line.
    Drive the car on good roads close to the line.

Fill-out this form.

http://www.motorcyclemovers.ca/motorcycle_shipping.htm

16. waldo

waldo Member

I have used forward air before and was very satisfied bike goes in a container
    I think I used a medium container for an xj1100 just removed the mirrors.
    http://www.forwardair.com/index.htm
    On the other hand if you decide to make the run you know you have the support of the forum to keep you going

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I still think towing it on a single-rail trailer (like for motocross bikes) makes the most sense. Unless you have time to take a couple of 200 or 300-mile jaunts on it first. My first 180-mile shakedown run on my '83 produced a "to-do" list that I wouldn't have wanted to perform roadside nor neglect.

18. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

You might want to consider buying an inexpensive trailer locally either at a building materiel center, or off your equivalent of Craigslist. You should be able to get one on (the program begins with a K) good enough to do the job for just a few hundred dollars.

First you had better make sure that there is a hitch available for your car. Then head straight across to BC.

Loren

19. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Last Summer, I saw a guy with a trailer he made to haul his Sport Bike, that was a modified Jet-Ski trailer.

He removed the risers for the jet-ski hull ... welded-in some additional cross-members ... covered the flat-space with 3/4" Plywood ... added heavy-duty Eye-Bolts and a front-wheel brace.

It looked well thought-out and designed.
    Not flimsy or funny-looking.
    It definitely had the look of something well-built and sturdy.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/single ... railer.htm

20. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Work will be going on hold for most of april before I leave so I plan on doing a boat-load of riding to run any kinks out. I guess that will determine the final decision. But ya, trailers look to run about 200 bucks on kijiji but the hitch for my car might be hard to find. Gotta make some calls this week. Thanks again for all the info guys!