1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Any of you guys with spare hitachi HSC32/33 carb racks...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fintip, Jun 26, 2012.

1. fintip

fintip Member

So I was rebuilding my carbs at a friend's house, and while the end status is great, I have some problems in the end, and those are missing small pieces.

Two of the tiny washers for the adjustment screws,
    One of the plastic washers for a butterfly shaft,
    An "e clip" for the end of the butterfly clip,
    and the thing no one can help me with, a last new throttle shaft seal. :(

(I had the shim and throttle shaft seal in a cup that I was saving until I got the e-clip, and just smeared silicon grease on the outside end of carb number 1 to seal it up until then...

Unfortunately, someone 'cleaned up' before I could get back to it within the few hours I was gone--I rushed out the door to make it to the once-a-month chance to use some vacuum gauges I had, and my battery completely failed. My brand new battery. Repeatedly. Would not hold charge. So I became stranded and had to leave my bike somewhere and get someone else to pick me up, and figure out battery stuff. Didn't make it back to my working area for several hours.)

I still have my old throttle shaft seals, and one of them feels a lot more 'rubbery' than the rust... So if I can just get the washers, shim, and e-clip, I can restore that seal as best I can and pack it with grease and keep an eye on it at the end of my rack and be good.

Anyone here able to send me some of those small parts for a reasonable fee?

2. Chosenbc

Chosenbc Member

Usually I go through Chacal for all of my parts, and he can usually get just about anything, He has been excellent in helping me with the parts I have needed. I highly recommend him!
    XJ4Ever

3. fintip

fintip Member

Yes, I use chacal often as well, however random little plastic bits are likely to not be available as individual pieces... And the missing throttle shaft seal is painfully only sold as a set of 8 for $45, which I will not be shelling out for a second time.

4. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Have you PM'ed chacal and asked? It's not like he's just collecting money and re-routing parts through a distribution network. He HAS the parts in stock. Maybe his supplier set him some "extras" or maybe you're not the first one to have lost one.

It can't hurt to ask. And if you would have asked earlier in the morning, you might have gotten them by Wednesday ;)

5. fintip

fintip Member

?

I don't understand the 'earlier in the morning comment'.

Just to clarify what parts I'm talking about, see page 15 for mention of the e-clip and shim:

http://www.xj4ever.com/hitachi%20thrott ... 0seals.pdf

and, weird coincidence, but the picture at the top of page 15 of this document shows the little washer (of which I am missing two):

http://www.xj4ever.com/mikuni%20carb%20cleaning.pdf

If I have to, I'll send a PM to chacal, but I don't find it good practice to ask for charity on such things from a man when that's his business that he gets his bread from. In general I'll ask a friend to loan me a tool, but not a mechanic, if you get my drift. On the other hand, to be reasonably profitable, I imagine he'd need to charge more than I'd like to pay for such parts.

On the other hand, some members here have as many as 4 sets of carbs, and a couple of shims and a clip from one won't hurt their stock enough to matter.

6. ManBot13

I'm not saying he'd GIVE you the parts, you were asking for a "reasonable fee." And you complained about having to order 8 throttle shaft seals, when you only need 1. He might sell you 1, because he might have a few left over after making "sets". He might also sell individual pilot needle washers. And I'm sure he stocks the e-clip and shim.

You assume he'd charge more than you'd like to pay...but unless your are asking for them for free, those 5 parts shouldn't add up to much. And he'll ship them fast. I was just saying that you should ask find out what the total is.

And about my ordering in the morning comment, I meant that if you'd gotten an order to him this morning, you'd have gotten your parts by Thursday (not Wednesday...er...what day is it again? :oops: ). I know he's got parts in the mail that quickly before.

7. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Re: Any of you guys with spare hitachi HSC32/33 carb racks..

Len has all the parts and does sell them individually.

8. pauldale999

pauldale999 Active Member

Ive just bought some parts from Len, at Chacal
    at (xj4ever)
    He does sell singularly quoted
    Updated to 2012 tho from 2009 listed in parts list...

V-seals (x1)(shaft seal) @ $6 (?)
    eclip (x1) @ 4.50 (?)
    shim washer (x1) @3.00 (?)
    Might be cheaper - i'm just estimating

All other necessary parts for HC32 available also....

email him.....!??
    :)
    Not bank-breaking(?)!

9. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

HCP38B Aftermarket Hitachi throttle shaft V-SEAL, single:
    $ 4.00

HCP6836 OEM throttle shaft end retaining E-CLIP, bright plated spring steel, each:
    $ 3.50

Aftermarket Hitachi HSC32/33 series carb THROTTLE SHAFT SEAL PLASTIC SHIM WASHER...these washers go directly "outside" of the HCP904 o-rings or the HCP38B v-seals listed above. Same notes as listed above about the seals (regarding the ease of replacement) also applies to these shims. NOTE: these shims do NOT "wear out" like the seals do; you only need to replace them if your shim washers are broken or missing. ALSO: although these replacement shims have the correct O.D. and I.D. as the originals, they are only 1/2 the thickness of the originals, and thus you will have to use two (2) of these shim washers to replace one (1) original shim washer.

HCP39C Aftermarket Hitachi throttle shaft seal SHIM WASHER, single:
    $ 2.00

HCP39CSET2 Aftermarket Hitachi throttle shaft seal SHIM WASHERS, pair:
    $ 3.75

10. fintip

fintip Member

$12 for a couple small pieces. Plus $8 shipping. It's not unreasonable of him to ask, but $20 hurts for tiny hardware after the new carb body($80+shipping), new throttle shaft seals($45 + shipping), and new fuel line o-rings ($10), and another new battery (one month after the last one--$32 to upgrade to AGM, gas in friend's car to drive around while bike was out)...

Didn't realize he sold individuals, I just always overlooked that before because I didn't see why one wouldn't just buy a set. But of course he does. They just come at a premium for breaking sets.

Guess just hoping someone with a couple spares putting them in an envelope was too much to hope for. I'll leave this up for another day, if no one can help I'll go ahead and shell out...

Manbot, I get it, I can buy it. Lay off. I was offering a 'fee' to be polite, but I was expecting that fee to be postage. I know I'd give the same to someone else if I had extras. I did not 'complain', I just stated. Can you lay off?

11. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Take your existing "e" clip to any decent hardware store and see if they have one. You might get lucky.

12. fintip

fintip Member

Fair enough. I'll try that. See if I get lucky on the plastic shims and little washers, too. On that note, I'm seeing a mechanic tomorrow to vacuum sync my engine ($37.50, and I know he does good work--building my own tools wouldn't be much cheaper than that and would take a lot longer), so I'll ask him first.

13. ManBot13

If you are paying someone to do the syncing, ask him to set the pilot mixture too.

My experience is that there's a bit of iteration between setting the pilot mixture and sync. You can do it all in one sitting, but if the mechanic only syncs them for you, you will probably need to do some tweaking to the sync if you need to tweak the pilot mixture, or if that throttle shaft seal starts leaking on you and you replace it.

I wonder if there's anyone near you in Austin that's got a sync tool that you can borrow. I checked the map, but I haven't seen any of the members near you post in a while.

If you want to build a tool, I can get you a parts list for four tube tool that I use, and even ship you some tee's if I can find them (I've got a bunch left over, and had to more than I needed before finding out that they sell them in auto-parts stores)