1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone put on an Electrosport gauge package?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Blackhammer, May 14, 2008.

1. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

My repair of my speedo resulted in the whining noise returning at 40 mph instead of 30 mph. Since I fear breaking another speedo cable, and my tach fell out in a million pieces, i was looking at Electrosport for a replacement.

Has anyone installed one on a Maxim or Seca?

2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

What is that exactly?

3. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

An all in one Speedo, Tach, Fuel gauge, turn lights, Hi beam, etc. Kevineleven on the forum recommended this as a speedo replacement. I just wanted to know if anyone had already tried it out. I have attached a picture of one below.

Attached Files:

4. sim37

sim37 Member

Sure looks cool, also looks pricey.

5. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

$130, but I am having trouble finding reliable used ones. I looked at a used speedo last weekend, but the worm gear was gone in it

6. tomestl

tomestl Member

7. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

Thanks, I tried to search and no luck. I should have looked up kevineleven's bike to see what it looked like.

I am not sure about the vapor. It does not have as many options as the electrosport. I have GOT to get rid of the current console with the big hole where the Tach used to be.

8. tomestl

tomestl Member

I agree... I like the electrosport/acewell better myself. Not sure about the odometer function on the Trail Tech units. Whatever you choose at least you know it can be done. It's on the long list of changes I'd like to make.

9. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I love mine. The tach can be a bit hard to see sometimes, but I really dont mind. The 2800 model (the one pictured) does not have a fuel gauge on it. It does however have a "hazard" light which you could wire as a low fuel light, I suppose. I think it's a bargain at $130. I use the electronic tach model with a magnetic speedometer pickup, but I think there are models that will take cables. I got mine I think for christmas 06, It took maybe 2 hours to install, start to finish, including fabbing the mount and drilling for the pickup. Pretty straight forward, and there are detailed instructions. I recommend it for sure.

10. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

I was wondering if the added electrical pull on your system made any difference. I updated my brushes last year, and am looking at an LED change later this year. But I was not sure how the electrosport gauges affected the electrical system

11. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I have noticed no adverse electrical affects.

12. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered it. I'll put in pics after I get it installed. Anything would be better than the hole I have where the Tach was

13. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

It took a week to get to Indiana from California. Started on it Tuesday night. Once I got all of the old stuff out, I still have about 20 wires that I need to remove, since they go to nowhere now. I have to do some re-wiring, because the Hi Beam light always stays on. The Tach works great. I am working on the mounting bracket from the old one to put the new Electrosport speedo right in the middle of the front.

My wife was complaining that I was taking too long, so I have not gotten the magnet attached yet to the front wheel. I guess I am supposed to drill a hole in the wheel to mount it. I did find a place in back of the fork for the pick up though. PICS to come......

14. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

Well I put it on. My gas gauge always shows full. I looked inside and I was about 1/2 full.

Also, I read the instructions, measured the front tire and entered in the circumference. Now I can go 100 mph in 4th gear.

Can anybody else share their settings with me? I added 50 cm to the setting and it is close. I am 2.0 miles from work and it is reading 2.2 miles

Thank for any advice

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how did you measure the tire? for my bicycle speedo i mark the tire and put a mark on the garage floor then sit on it and roll it one rev and have someone else mark the floor when the tire mark is at the bottom, measure, do some math and put the answer in the speedo
    it's always right according to those radar "your speed is" signs
    seems like 77 inches rings a bell

16. johno8

johno8 Member

I've installed this gauge on my XJ750 Maxim-X and am wondering how others are fairing out. I haven't been able to do a test ride yet, but hope to in the next week or so.

17. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

I went and remeasured the circumference like Pollock did. I found that I had measured the radius, not the diameter of the wheel. So I had a number in mm that was half of what I found. (Thanks Pollock!)

Also, I had to reposition the sensor. It was crooked at the end of the fork. I went for a 20 mile drive and the speedo went from 45 to 75. It would never show anything in the 50s. I was doing 135 mph in 5th gear!!!! That is when I noticed the sensor was crooked. Now it registers dead on for the speed.

I still have not found out why my gas gage always shows full. I had less than 3/4 of a tank when I found this out. I am hoping to check the wiring out soon.

18. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

'
    '

I think i am at 1950

19. johno8

johno8 Member

Blackhammer:

Do you have any pics on the sensor location on the forks? Where did you put the small magnet bolt on the wheel?

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

is this similar to the electrosport? it's from a bicycle speedometer, i hope to use the same setup when i get a electrosport
    the magnet is from a old hard drive attached with Scotch mounting tape