1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

As promised (sort of) horn comparison

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by bigfitz52, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I haven't been able to figure out how to imbed or attach an audio file to a posting, so this will have to do. I got a set of Acumen Electronics horns from England, and they claim to be louder than stock. Here's a pic: [​IMG] So I did a side-by-side test of stock horns, on my '81 Seca 550 against the Acumens on my '83, parked side by side and recorded from 20 feet away. Here are the graphic representations from media player, the difference is noticeable.

Attached Files:

2. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

If you like, I can host the audio file. Email it/them to daniel . turner @ okstate . edu.

3. bigfitz52

Cool. do a reply with the URLs and we have SOUND! Thx

4. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch Member

What was the price of those Acumen horns and how difficult were they to install?

I got cut off today at an intersection, and those would have come in very handy!

5. bigfitz52

Ended up being around $62, including shipping from England. As far as installation, they are a direct bolt-up for the originals (with their mounts) on the Seca except for one detail: They are designed to use THEIR mounting "bar" (the Yammie one is too wide) but the wiring prongs are on the OUTSIDE. Turning them around means loosening the center screw on the back of the horns, which is lacquered in place FOR A REASON. That center screw is also the "tone adjustment" for the horn; one simply has to CAREFULLY note the position of the center screw and be sure that same position is maintained when the nut is tightened back up. So, not difficult but you have to be careful IF you find it necessary to re-orient the horns on their mounting bars. I originally bought them because they're all black and a tad smaller diameter than the originals, the fact that they actually turned out louder (and a much more ABNOXIOUS TONE I might add) is just a plus. One more bonus: With these installed, you don't have to remove the horns every time you need to get into the headlight bucket.