1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Autozone has headlight relay for $3.99

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jamesawooten, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jamesawooten

jamesawooten New Member

Hi All,

Autozone carries a Pilot relay (Part number PL-RY1, Autozone stocking number 124003) that plugs right in to my 82 XJ550 and works fine.

The relay has a plastic tab sticking up to allow it to be screwed down to something - cuts right off with a pocket knife and the relay fits right into the rubber holder.

The only difference electrically is that it does not have the internal diode which means that when the engine (or alternator) quits, so does the headlight. If you still want that functionality, just go over to Radio Shack and get a diode and solder it in.

Attached Files:

2. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Awesome, man. Thanks a bunch. I'm heading down there tomorrow to pick up one of these. I'll let you know how it goes!

3. chevybythesea

chevybythesea Member

What is the purpose of this?

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Purpose of the headlight relay is to not have the headlight come on until after the engine is started (technically, after the alternator starts generating electricity).

The diode provides a self keeping function so the relay stays engaged even if the alternator output drops (IE engine stalls).

5. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

they have a similar flasher relay that works on my gsxr(1986),my seca flasher worked on my gsxr as well.So I reckon it would work on my seca.

6. cbutters

cbutters New Member

I picked one up and put in my 82 XJ650, but I got no headlight at all. That's the same problem when I first got my bike. I managed to find a used version of the original part and that at least keeps the light on all the time.

Is the only purpose of the relay to keep the headlight from coming on until the engine is started? If so, do I really need one, since that function doesn't work at all? Could I just hard wire it without the relay? :?:

7. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Damn, I tried this part over the weekend with no luck. If I knew how to solder, I'd just bypass the relay altogether at this point. Thanks for the suggestion, though, jamesawooten!

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

There is a decent tutorial linked off of Dave's Motorcycle Mechanic pages (linked off of our helpful links section) that will guide the unknowing on how to slobber, oops solder to a reliable degree. Give it a look-see.