1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bad luck long weekend

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jhicks13, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jhicks13

jhicks13 Member

Happy Belated Canada/Independence Days. I hope everyone had a better riding weekend then I did.

It all started early Friday afternoon when I pulled the cover off, turned the key, hit the starter and nothing happened. Battery died. Not to be deterred by a minor set back, I grabbed the jumper cables and wired her to my car. She spun, but just wouldn't turn over. A shot of quick start fixed that and I was on my way. For the next 100km, I was in XJ heaven. Just me, my bike and the open road.

I was bobbing and weaving about, enjoying one of the most spirited rides she's ever given me. I was just south of Lindsay Ontario when I got stuck behind two farmers in pickups doing 70 in an 80 zone. I waited for an opening, downshifted twice and let fly.

It was about this time that everything suddenly got very loud and throttle response became sluggish. A quick visual check from the saddle showed everything ok. I figured the exhaust had come loose between the headers and the pipe. Traveled another 50 or so klicks to my cottage and hopped off to inspect the damage.

Somehow, I had blown the guts entirely out of the muffler and oil was pouring up through the breather tube into the airbox. There was oil all over the left side of the rear tire and swing arm.

What a way to start, and consequently end, a nice relaxing riding weekend.

The culprit? I miscalculated the amount of oil I had burned lately and added too much before the run. D'OH!!

Does anyone know where I can get a new muffler for a 4-1 exhaust in Ontario cheap?:p

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

It's all behind you now, I know I have suffered through situations where my oun minor mistakes have runied a nice weekend.
    I don't use a car battery to jump my bikes anymore. I fried the voltage regulator on a old Honda I had. I remember a nice cool Saturday morning, the battery was dead. I thought no problem and hooked up the jumper cables to the car and suddenly I heard a fizzle sound and saw smoke. Damn I fried the regulator. I have other friends that have had similar outcomes when jumping with a car battery. I"ll put the battery charger on for a while now or if I'm in a hurry , jump with the lawnmower.

3. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

definately dont jump the bike with a car. Why was the battery dead. if your battery is on its way out its the #1 cause of stator failure and charging problem troubles

4. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

LoL.. Here's this poor guy with a blown exhaust, and you lot are going on about jump starting the battery.. ha ha..

Sorry Jeff, can't help you with the muffler.. But I've never had a problem jumping from a car.. So long as it wasn't moving at the time ;)

5. jhicks13

jhicks13 Member

Car was stopped and off and the battery died because she's sat idle for the past few weeks. Yes I know I need a new one, one broken thing at a time.

All will have to wait though. I'm currently in a tent trailer outside of Quebec City, cookin some steaks with my old man... how the hell I found wifi, I dont know... but I like it