1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bad motorcycle luck this week -- fried computer possibly??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TheBostik, May 21, 2008.

1. TheBostik

TheBostik Member

So... it started this weekend when I took a spill on the motorcycle. My instrument panel broke my key off in the ignition. I pulled that off, and being a cheapskate, didn't take it to a locksmith but tried to do it myself.

When I got the broken key out, the lock wouldn't turn anymore.

So I accepted that I'd have to buy a new ignition but for the meantime...

took off the wire harness from the ignition to make a kind of "hotwire key" i could keep with me. But I wasn't sure how to do it, so I twisted red and brown. That made the electric come on, but the starter button didn't work.

I then twisted red/brown/blue and the electric came on, but the starter button still didn't work.

If I short across the starter solenoid it'll turn over but not start.

The bike started/ran perfectly well up until this.

What did I do? What else do I need to tell you in order to diagnose this problem?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Look at the Fuses.
    I think when you joined the Red Wire with the White Stripe to the Brown Wire you popped a Fuse.

Unless you know for sure where those wires originate and terminate ... don't splice them together.
    You might get the Bike fired-up ... really fired-up!!!

Flames; needing to be put-out ... fired-up!

3. TheBostik

TheBostik Member

i checked the fuses... main and blinker are definitely good because the electric and blinkers work.

the other two (i lost the little sheet that says what they are when i upgraded the fuse box) don't LOOK broken.

also, the red wire is solid red. i'll go switch out the other two fuses now though and see if that fixes this problem

4. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

I checked the wiring diagram in my Clymer's. You should be able to start the bike once the blue, red, and brown wires are connected together.

Like Rick mentioned, you must have blown a fuse.

5. TheBostik

TheBostik Member

replaced all fuses with brand new ones -- no change

that is, the motorcycle has power (horn, turn signals... no headlight, like I'm trying to start it), but will not start with the start button.

i bypassed the started solenoid and i can hear the starter motor but the engine isn't firing at all

something i noticed is that the voltmeter doesn't quickly return to 0, it just slowly decreases from where it's at. (unlike normal)

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

I want your old lock! I cover postage.
    BTW, the schematic in the Haynes manual is MOST helpful in determining which wires you need to get spark to the engine. I would start there.

7. MrShake

MrShake Member

Kill Switch

8. TheBostik

TheBostik Member

found the problem-

when i installed my new handlebars i apparently disconnected the connector from the kill switch/ignition button running underneath the gas tank.

so shorting the starter would crank the motor but not start the bike because the kill switch wasn't connected!

this simple problem has given me too much of a hard time :(

9. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

That is always the problem with electrical. Troubleshooting by elimination is a long path to heartbreak.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

And the prize goes to MrShake!
    Gwyndwr, it doesn't have to end in unhappiness as our buddy just found out. It was something simple. Hurray!