1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Baltimore DC riders

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by HalfCentury, Nov 28, 2008.

1. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

Looking for XJ folks to ride with when the weather is clear.

I live close to Columbia, MD.

I also have a home brew differential carb balancing gizmo in case you want to synch your carbs. Its much more sensitive than using vacuum gauges which I purchased as well.

Using the bottle gizmo made a huge difference in how the bike starts, idles and runs.

2. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

My Xj should be done in another month or 2...seat came in today! Id def be down for some riding with another xj'r.

Glad to hear that bottle tricked worked.

3. rdbhere2

rdbhere2 Member

All of the xj's in Maryland are hookin' up and ridin' down to Daniel's biker bar in Elkridge and startin' a ruckus soon.......

4. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

When? I live about 5 miles from Elkridge.

5. absolutezroo

absolutezroo New Member

I'm up in Westminster. Rebuilding this winter.

6. shangovi

shangovi Member

new here - just bought an 81 XJ650 still have to register it but hoping to get it on the road come better weather.
    I,m from the Burtonsville area in MD

7. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

Welcome Shangovi

You are just down the road from me.

If you need assistance with valve clearance measuring and/or adjusting as well as carb synching let me know.

Your 1981 bike is, I believe, pre-YICS so the YICS tool is not required to synch your carbs.

8. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Holy crap, a group of MD riders. I'm really glad I finally stumbled on this site.

I'm resurrecting an '82 750 Seca and I'm 99% sure I'll be ready to ride in time for Spring and probably earlier. I found this thing disassembled, in a co-worker's garage. I really need to get it out of there so I can work on it. Our shcedules aren't very compatible so I'm not getting a lot of work done on it. It runs but ignition is very weak. I have a pile of parts for it and tests to perform. Overall, I think it's solid if not very pretty. I think I'll name it "Max" for the crazy desert rat-bikers in "The Road Warrior".

Half Century: My bike has the YICS. Do you have the blanking tool needed to balance my carbs?

9. mfchapman

mfchapman Member

I didn't realize you guys were in the area, I'm right over in Highlandtown, Baltimore City. I could use as much help tuning as I can get come spring. I have a colortune as well if anybody needs to use it.

Cool,
    Marshall

10. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

Yes I have the blanking tool. We can do a tuning day when schedules permit. I have the synch bottles as well. I have vac meters but like the bottles much more.

11. mfchapman

mfchapman Member

Kool and the Gang

12. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Awesome. I just scored a complete set of carbs from eBay in case I need to rebuild a set. I'm down in sunny FL for one more day. I picked up a decent riding jacket while I was down here too.

13. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

think you got the carbs i was looking at lol jk maybe...but got mine working over the holiday enjoy the warmer weather sushi

14. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Well I'm back. Found my carbs waiting on the doorstep. Tried on my boots, helmet and jacket. All fit well.

Tomorrow I hope to go to my co-worker's house up the street and wheel my bike over to my house permanently.

As a side note: While I was down in FL, I rode my cousin's Kawasaki rice-rocket. It's a tricked-out 650 that peeled the skin back on my face. Good practical experience since I'm a new rider. What a rush.

15. Datt Mtn

Datt Mtn New Member

Hey all, I am Baltimorean looking for a space to work on my XJ750 over the winter. Any of you guys live in the city/have space for some wrenching?