1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Best RPM for an XJ750RK in Traffic

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by IndyRonXJ, Oct 12, 2012.

1. IndyRonXJ

IndyRonXJ New Member

Recently I go stuck in city traffic and go the engine pretty warm in my 1983 XJ750RK. I am running 20W50 motorcyle specific oil. What is the best idle speed for an airhead to keep the engine cool by just the oil? I know zero RPM would be best, but when you are in traffic you hate to run the risk of a hot engine not restarting.

Thanks

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Idle speed is specified in the manual, 1050 +/- 50 rpm. Don't set it any lower or you risk not developing enough oil pressure to properly lubricate the engine.

It has to be really hot out for you to have to worry about overheating an idling 750 seca (think 100+ F).

Hot engine should have no problem restarting. If it does, you might have other issues, like valve clearances.

3. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

The idle RPM spec is 1050 so I would say that's the best. I don't know if overheating would be a problem as long as you aren't revving the engine ( which in stop and go traffic shouldn't be happening anyway). If you are truly stopped for a period of time shut the motor off. If you're creeping along at idle speed or just above it there should be enough air movement to adequately cool the motor. I would think the engineers that designed these would have consider the possibility of slow moving traffic.