1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike idles at 2500-4000 RPM after carb work

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fearxunleashed, Aug 29, 2012.

1. fearxunleashed

fearxunleashed Member

So i did my valve clearances, changed 1 valve
    Checked compression, was fine.
    Changed the oil
    Changed the spark plugs
    Charged the battery
    I have a new in line fuel filter, fuel line, petcock
    I took apart the carbs, cleaned, made sure everything looked ok. Sprayed carb cleaner through the fuel jets on each carb + the main fuel jet.
    Adjusted float levels
    Did a bench sync, adjusting each valve on the carbs so that they were in sync and then adjusting the idler screw so that there was a tiny crack of light that could be seen through each valve

The bike in the past had trouble starting and would idle low around 900RPM and would sputter when i pulled on the gas after warm up.

Now i get it to start right up, first try, full choke, but when the choke is full it quickly jumps to 5000 RPM (ish) and then as i reduce the choke, eventually i have the choke OFF and the bike is still at 2000-4000 RPM.

I tried some throttle and it revved up higher (Choke off, sitting around 3k RPM) and it wasn't idling down so i killed the engine.

I checked my choke and it's all functioning properly, and i also checked my throttle line and it isn't held open or anything, it all looks fine. I checked each rubber boot on the carbs (both sides) and made sure the clamps were tight, and they were, and it all looks fine.

I'm assuming the bike should not run any higher than 1100 RPM and the engine shouldnt race when the choke is OFF. What is the problem?

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

For the engine to idle that fast the main butterflies are open too much from one or a combination of things;
    Idle speed screw adjusted too high.
    carbs are way out of sync.
    floats levels are too high.
    Choke is open for some reason.

Did you remove the idle mixture screw , emulsion tubes and jets to clean them or were they left in place?

3. fearxunleashed

fearxunleashed Member

For the float levels, I read that they need to be 17mm hanging. I took off all the covers and looked at the float levels and carb #4 was hanging down about 3mm more than the other 3 floats, so i adjusted so that they all line up, hanging 17mm.

I did not touch any idle mixture screws or emulsion tubes, i kept them in place.

For the carb syncing, i did this:

http://xj650.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-t ... carbs.html

Using a paperclip to adjust the valves in the carbs so that they match up and so that light can be seen through, but not too much.

Should i play with the idle screw and see if i can get it to stop revving high?

I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly.

And i checked, the choke is working properly. When it's off, the enrichment circuit closes properly.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You didn't.

You didn't pull the emulsion tubes to clean them. (Important.)

You didn't pull the pilot mixture screws to replace their o-rings and clean their passages.

You didn't WET-set the float levels; the dry-setting you did was only a starting point. (VERY important.)

You didn't do a running vacuum sync (with YICS blocked if applicable.)

Go back and do a more thorough job on the carbs, both cleaning and adjusting; and it should work a lot better for you.

It should then idle and run well enough to get your running vacuum sync.