1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bike not starting anymore

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by vugt47, Jul 16, 2016.

1. vugt47

vugt47 New Member

i tore down nearly the entire bike last winter and now have it all back together. the engine was not touched except for a new oil filter. tried to start it with no changes made to carbs...nothing. i used starter fluid and the bike started but red lined immediately. i then rebuilt and cleaned carbs, while i had it apart i put a stage 1 jet kit in it. same behavior after...rebuilt the petcock...same behavior. i double check petcock and it functions properly.

any ideas?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Vacuum leak is suspect #1. Use carb cleaner or unlit propane to ID the leak.

Throttle cable is suspect #2 (but easier to check first). Unhook it and then start the bike.

Did you rebuild the carbs?
    If not, why not?

3. vugt47

vugt47 New Member

so are you suspecting a vacuum leak in the boots or the line back to the petcock? if so could i just hook a air line to it and find it with soapy water?
    another question. if it was a vacuum leak wouldnt it still run but poorly? Im just trying to understand this...

4. k-moe

Use an unlit propane torch or carb cleaner, definitely not water.
    When the engine speed increases you have found the leak.

A vacuum leak leans out the fuel mixture, causing the engine to run faster and faster.

Did you rebuild the carbs? I'm not talking about cleaning them, but rebuilding with new throttle shaft seals, removing all the jets for cleaning, and putting all the jets back into the correct locations.
    This is an important question for you to answer, because it helps us to diagnose the problem correctly.

5. vugt47

vugt47 New Member

I rebuilt/jetted the carbs and cleaned everythg out. I did them one at a time. And am positive that it all went back together properly. Im not able to get it running at all to check for a vac leak. The bike quits immediately upon start and then wont fire at all for atleast 10 mins... The only time it will remain running is when i use starter fluid and then it revs far too high and i am forced to kill it.

6. k-moe

You replaced the throttle shaft seals?

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Float settings? Wrong jets/misplaced jets?