1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bike only runs when starter button pressed

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 78pimpala, Jun 23, 2011.

1. 78pimpala

78pimpala New Member

hi guys, long time lurker here, just registered, i have an 81 xj 650 that im having some issues with. when i bought the bike it was a wiring mess, but it ran. now after i have fixed all the cuts in the wiring, replaced th starter switch, and replaced the fuse box, the bike will only run when you press and hold the starter button, as long as the button is held in , ther is power to the coils and the bike runs, as soon as you let go of the button the power to the coils drops off and the bike dies. if i run a 12v jumper straight to the coils the bike wants to turn over like im pressing the starter button. i have th wiring diagram and as far as i can see everything is wired correctly, any insight into a solution would be much appreciated, im at a loss here and getting frustrated.. thanks

2. 78pimpala

78pimpala New Member

also, is there suppose to be a constant 12v at the coils when the key is in the on position? becouse there isnt, also if i run a jumper from the battery to the coils, it engages the starter

3. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

Sound like you've crossed a couple of wires. You need either a schematic for the bike or retrace your steps making sure of the colour codes on the harness. If you don't yet have one, get a manual. I have for a 550 but it is a little different than the 650. If you want I can get access to the diagram but would only be a guide, colours and some features are different.

Yes there should be voltage to the coils with the key on, but it will vary as the pickup coils are activated.

Also fill out your signature with your location and the bike information. We don't know if its a Maxim or Seca at this point and the wiring is different on each.

4. 78pimpala

78pimpala New Member

its a 81 650 maxim, i do have a wiring diagram,an dive double checked and everything seems to go to the right place.... guess ill have to start back tracking wires :(

5. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

Keep in mind that the start button simply supplies the ground to the start solenoid.The start solenoid is feed positive through the start cutout relay and/or the kickstand relay. On the 550 the wire colour are similar. You may have crossed in that area.

Sorry, I missed the fact that you had the schematic. I have other things occupying my mind right now, but it is settling down and I had time to look at my diagrams.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It almost sounds like you mixed up a couple of the relays.

7. 78pimpala

78pimpala New Member

so does anyone know what should be feeding 12v to the coils when the ignition is in the on position? i never unplugged any relays when doing the rewiring. i cant for the life of me understand why the starter is engaging when i jump 12v to the coils...... sorry im at work right now and just trying to get enough info to troubleshoot when i get home

8. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose from a distance. You said that you replaced the fuse box and repaired cut wires. The bike ran before the "repair" but since then you have had the problem. Therefore the assumption is that you might have crossed some wires. Both Fitz and myself think it might be in the relay circuits. If you can provide pictures of the fuse box, a description and pictures of which wires were "repaired" and possibly your schematic so that we can see your specific bikes system (as I am working with a similar but not identical setup). We can probably guide you.

9. 78pimpala

78pimpala New Member

right on, i will go home and troubleshoot with what ive found here, and trace down where some wires go, if i dont fix the prob ill snap some pics to show you guys tomorrow, thanks for the help

10. 78pimpala

78pimpala New Member

well went home last night and checked some wires out, seesm i out the starter button wires onto the kill switch and the killswitch wires on the starter button lol, got it all fixed up now, and shes runnin

11. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Oh. Wow. That's, um, interesting. :D Good job getting it sorted.

12. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

I kinda wish you didn't fix it right away. I would have liked to see some experimenting with different positions of the kill switch with the crossed wires. I would imagine that you after you had the bike started, you would have had to turn the kill switch off in order to simulate removing your finger from the starter button so that the starter stopped running.

13. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking when I typed out "interesting." Flip the 'kill' switch to keep from burning up the starter, yet you'd have to hold down the 'starter' button as a dead-man's switch. :D