1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bike stalls, help!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cheezehead, Jul 5, 2008.

1. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

hi, i'm working on my father-n-laws 650, and it dies every now and again. it almost sounds like it's flooding out. i put an inline filter in, and i notice that when i'm in the pri mode, the filter won't fill. if i remove the line, gas flows great. when in the on position, it runs just fine. when in reserve, there is very little gas in the filter. the bike still runs, and doesn't stumble or anything. i pulled the petcock, the filter and passages are free and clear. any ideas? thanks!

2. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Is this just at idle or while riding at RPM? Is there any smoke? If it is flooding out, there will probably black smoke. Has the bike set for long? Need more info...........

3. Stamplicker

Stamplicker Member

Filter on backwards?

4. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

checked the filer,ok. iit doesn't fill the filer at any rpm in pri or res. i took it for a ride, and tried the different postions. the bike ran fine. should we worry about this? the carbs could stand a cleaning, but the enrichment circuit works great. maybe we have a float hanging up, i just don't know.

5. bstig60

bstig60 Member

If there is any question about the carbs, take the time and clean them. There are several threads here to guide you through the process. Just search under cleaning carbs.