1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bike was running fine, now can't start....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bartman, Jun 7, 2007.

1. bartman

bartman Member

well the bike started out this spring a little hard to start, so I ran some seafoam through it, and it helped a lot....started well, and ran it for a couple 40mile rides...ran well and strong.

now the bike will not start, or if it does it idles for about 5 seconds then dies. It won't start again, and floods out. let it sit for a little bit and repeats. It's really humid the past few days, but that shouldn't affect it 'that' much should it?

I've never worked on carbs before, and don't really have the knowledge to do so w/o really screwing things up I think. Is there anything I can do or try to get it running w/o a big overhaul?

thanks.

2. SalCycle

SalCycle Member

Check your fuel level in your float bowls. Just get a hose that snugly fits in the little port, and hold the (clear) hose next to the carbs. Since you're flooding out, you might expect to see the fuel level above the top of your bowls.

You don't need to remove our carbs for this, just make sure your bike is level side to side.

It sounds like a fuel problem.

3. bartman

bartman Member

it's been a while, haven't had time to look at the bike. I'm not real familiar with bike engines, can you tell me where to find this port? a photo would be reeeal helpful for this newb.

bought some new plugs for the bike today, dropped a little fuel down the plugs and then bolted em up and tried starting the bike, the bike started and ran for a time, then ultimately died. so it must have spark, when I take the plugs out they're wet, so it has fuel....a timing issue? not sure how the timing could be fudged from just sitting. still have to check the bowls as advised, just don't know how to do that or what I'm supposed to be looking for?

any help in getting this baby running again, will be appreciated.