1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike wont stay running

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by classic_lover, Apr 5, 2013.

1. classic_lover

classic_lover New Member

hello ive recently purchased an 82 maxim 750 for $500 i got it up and running pretty quick and easy but now that it is up and going more problems are occurring. Like recently as i ride my bike will run fine while giving it throttle
    or while it is on choke but the moment i let off the throttle when the choke isnt on it stalls and i have to try to rapidly start it again so i can keep riding. Does anyone have any suggestions on possible problems ive already cleaned the carbs out and im pretty sure all jets are clear. Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated.

2. peeks

peeks Member

I would first suggest making sure carbs are in sync. Valve clearance checked and idle adjustment screw is.set right. If you can't work it out by doing that carbs may need cleaned again. In case you haven't check rear breaks it is a must. I will suggest reading anything written by big fitz and rickomatic good luck with the bike

3. maxim82

maxim82 Member

I know you may "think" the carbs are clean. I've "thought" that too before. Here's some very helpful links I Bookmarked in IE and made a Yamaha Favorites Folder for easier reference.

Very helpful>>>
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=8588.html

HOW TO: Clean the Enrichment Circuit Well
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=8918/

Your Carbs NEED to go CLUNK!!!
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... clunk.html

Setting HSC32 float heights dry
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=9 ... art=0.html

Those should get you going in the right direction. If not use the "Search" function in Forums, then XJ Chat.

Everyone is very cool about helping out so just holler if you need help.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When a Bike RUNS on "Choke" ... but, ... Dies when the "Choke" is turned-off, you have a Fuel Delivery Related issue.

With the Season about to happen, ... Having the Bike dialed-in, ready to go around the block or for hours down the road depends on how well the Carbs are Cleaned and set-up.

You need to Clean the Carbs like a Marine Recruit cleans his weapon.
    Every single part, of all 4 Carbs, needs to be white glove CLEAN.
    If you didn't remove and clean the Main Nozzles (Emulsion Tubes), ... go back and do the job right!

When a Bike runs on Choke ...
    But, dies when the Choke is off ...
    That means the Plant is Fuel Starved.

Remove the Main Nozzles
    Scrub the outsides with a gray ScotchBrite Pad or just bring 'em to the kitchen sink and scrub then with an S-O-S Copper-cleaning pad.

Probe the 16 to 20 Air Orifices with Guitar String or a Welders Tip Cleaning Probe.

Use some Pipe Cleaners twisted-together and soaked with Carb Cleaner to scrub the centers.

Buy a Ear Syringe, ... better knows as a "Little-baby Booger-sucker" to flush the Passages.
    Pilot Jet passage up
    Main Air and Pilot Air down.

Go about the process with great care and precision.

When you get it right, ... the other guys get to see your Brake Light come-on!

5. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I have those threads in my favourites as well! All sound advice, especially the checking of your back brake since stopping is more important than going (actually, just buy & fit new shoes regardless of condition, for how much they cost it's cheap insurance, you have to remove the wheel to check anyway & a delamination could kill you or others)

I have links to Fitz's brake delam thread in my signature as well as tyre date codes and brake hose scary pictures. Please do read them & take note, we like our members to be of the Alive variety here :D

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Then you need to WET SET the float levels: http://www.xj4ever.com/setting%20fuel%20levels.pdf

And get your VALVES IN SPEC: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html and http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29209.html

THEN and only then will you be able to do your RUNNING VACUUM SYNC, and get the bike running properly.

Going at it the way you are will only lead to frustration. You've got a lot more than carb work to do if you want to actually ride and use the bike.

Slow down, get a manual, and get serious. Or you're gonna get nowhere fast.

7. classic_lover

classic_lover New Member

Ok brakes are all done i went through those when i first bought the bike and i went in and cleaned out and even re-greased the drive shaft while the back tire was off. I guess my next step may be to try cleaning the carbs again and check the valves but they should be pretty close to in sync my dads helped me do it real quick. Could anyone possibly give me a synching order? And as far as riding its been on the road a couple times and ran great the first few with little to no problems.

8. bigfitz52

The #3 carb has no adjuster other than the main idle knob, it's "home base."

You sync #1 to #2; then use #2 (it brings #1 with it) to sync the pair to #3. Then you sync #4 to #3.

With the YICS passage blocked. And after the valve clearances are in spec.

And you still think you're going to get away with shortcuts; it won't work.

9. 750E-II_29Rbloke

The man's right, it just won't... There's two ways to get these bikes running properly & safely.

First-: Do everthing 100% no shortcuts, no "getting away" with bits.

Second-: Do everything you can find, get away with re-using a few gaskets here & there, ride, break down, do repair, ride, break down, do repair, repeat ad infinitum (well, until you've worked through everything anyway).

Either way, you end up going through the whole bike, just doing it the first way works out a lot easier & quicker in the long run ;)

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed.
    Owners becoming overwhelmed with the list of maintenance chores is the main reason why so many of us have acquired our bikes from previous owners who neglected periodic maintenance.

Make a list in outline form.
    Try to cross-off one or two things that need doing at a time.

Having a Genuine Yamaha Workshop Manual will help make doing maintenance much easier.
    Each maintenance task is broken-down into segments, numbered, and illustrated.
    You can do one or two pages at a time.

It's like having a Playbook with notes written-in by your Coach.

11. classic_lover

classic_lover New Member

well went out bought some gumout and put it in the bike and yesterday i accomplished a 176 mile trip i love my bike.

12. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

It sounds like you got it running, if you have not gotten your valves in spec and carbs cleaned i am sure we will hear from you very soon (this forum or the sell/trade one). That is totally up to you.

Good luck

13. bigfitz52

Dragon Warrior, we must not gloat nor violate XJBikes Law #2: No saying "I told you so."

Neglected valves and ignored brakes will soon make their presence known, and we will be here to aid and guide as these lessons are learned the hard way. (Or the bike shows up in Sell/Trade, like you said.) That is our mission and we shall not fail.

NO Shortcuts. (XJBikes Law #1, to save you from asking.)

XJBikes Law #3 is of course, NO Fruit In Beer. What did you think it would be?

14. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

If you want to question Master Shifu refer to Law #1.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not even lemons? Doppelbock and Hefeweizen both love lemons (or oranges).

16. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Law number 3 is only applicable to the gentlemen among us though right, ladies can lager'n'lime away?