1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Blowing TDI transistors

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by aztech, May 2, 2006.

1. aztech

aztech New Member

Hi All,
    This looks like a great group. I have a question that I have not seen specificly addressed. I have a 1983 900 Seca that we are putting back on the road. The bike has high miles but runs insanly well. My son can kind of keep up with me on my VMax. On a couple of occasions I have blown out 3 of the fuses and when one of the fuses goes the TDI burns. I replaced the tranistor twice and looked for grounds. Is there anything I should be looking at first. By the way my brake lights also blow out when this happens, not just the fuse but the lights themselves. Thanks for any help on this.

Randy

2. thirdedition

thirdedition New Member

I would check for corrosion. I know on my buddies bike we were blowing fuses left and right. There was a ton of build up on the terminals, we cleaned them up with a wire brush, and it helped a ton. I would start there, the rest of the electronics I know little to nothing about though.

3. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

I'd be suspicious that the regulator/rectifier might be acting up. Is your battery boiling dry? I know when I had reg/rec problems on my old GS550E, the battery would go dry, and when it blew, it took out every bulb on the bike. I'd see to it soon, as it may take out your alternator, which gets expensive.

4. aztech

aztech New Member

Thanks for the info. I will be going through the wiring this weekend hopefully. Need to pull the regulator first.

5. aztech

aztech New Member

Thinking about changing out the fuse box altogether. Thanks.