1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

caliper rebuild and 1st hit of PO syndrome

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by venlis, Jun 9, 2010.

1. venlis

venlis Member

hey all,
    finally i got some replacement parts to start with my project, only to discover that a PO had for some unknown reason beaten the shit out of one of my calipers. the lower joint where the caliper and fork bolt to eachother has a huge gap and looks like this

caliper side:

[​IMG]

should look like this:

[​IMG]

fork side had a smack too:

[​IMG]

i cannot understand the point of doing this. when screws are tightened the gap misaligns the caliper. i think its safe to assume this is the reason my rotors were crooked when i got my xj. the brake pads were almost new so its difficult to examine and make jugdements by the wear, but i really cant see that the fork/caliper joint would have had issues that needed to be fixed this way.

i wouldnt want to spend on a new fork and caliper. the upper joint is as it came from the factory, so i was thinking of putting some liquid metal stuff (whatever you call it and whatever suits best) on the lower gap, thread the bolt in loose, then thread the upper bolt in tight, wipe excess stuff, let it dry and then tighten the lower.
    what do you think? would it be a sufficient fix or should i just take it to someone who can fill it by welding?

another thing
    what would you guys put under the caliper shims? mine had some sticky slimy and spongy stuff, also a thin metal plate on this one. i want to clean it out and add something accordingly.

pic:
    [​IMG]

one more
    when you have assembled the caliper back together shouldnt the brake pads be almost loose enough to move with fingers on the holding pin, resting firmly on the anti-rattle plate, and against the shims? i put one back together and i couldnt move the pad at all. wouldt that end up dragging the brakes after pressure has been applied?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just get a replacement caliper off eBay and rebuid that; I wouldn't trust my life to what you have there.

NO JBWeld on brake parts!!! You wanna die???

The pads should be held in place by the anti-rattle spring, not flopping about. But that is the least of your worries. That piston looks like it might be toast too.

REPLACE the caliper. Please.

3. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

x2 on replace. Skimp on paint/seat etc. Don't skimp on brakes. It really IS life or death.

4. venlis

venlis Member

exactly why jbweld would not be suitable? on that spot the jbweld would only be acting as a washer? is it likely to corrode or evaporate or what? my opinion is that the worst thing that could happen here is that the jbweld breaks and drops off leaving the lower bolt a little loose. i dont think thats fatal. please explain more?

as i said my pads are held so tight against the anti-rattle spring that there is no spring on the anti-rattle spring, it is pushed to the bottom. hard. so theyre not flopping about.

what about the stuff behind the shims? anyone have an idea?

piston is fine, its just dirty, but thanks for worrying.

an no, i dont want to die. and yes, before you get to it, i will do the rear brake too.