1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cant work out ign problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by casperdog21, Jul 11, 2014.

1. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

I have a 1981 xj650, its good fun to own, as she wasent running as it should I took the bull by the horn and did all what we are told on the forum, ie shims carb strip down balance and colour tune, I thought it would be spot on but I still have a missfire as you are pulling away from the lights etc, Ive been checking things out again and Ive come across this, on the forum and in the manuel it states that 1-4 plugs are from the left side pickup coil and the right nos 2-3 plugs,
    my left goes to 1-3 and the right 2-4, change them to 1-4 and 2-3 and she dosent like it one bit spits and back fires so it gets changed back, could it be wrong coils or wrong tci unit, its all starting to pee me off at the moment

2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

THe manual is right: one coil fires cylinders 1 and 4, and the other coil fires cylinders 2 and 3. If your bike doesn't like the correct pattern, there is clearly somethnig wrong.

What is the type and code on your TCI?

3. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

thanks for the reply, I am just in the process of getting the correct number for the cti unit and I will check the one on the bike in the morning, I think that this could be the problem, would this cause the missfires etc

4. quebecois59

There could be many reasons for misfiring, and some of them are related to the fuel supply, not to the electrical system. Vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks may also cause misfiring.

What is not clear in your post is if the bike has always acted like this before or is this a problem that appeared recently...

5. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

I have been and aquired the number on the tci box, and this is how it goes, the box is type tid 14-02, 4h7 10, I got the leads wrong 2-3 are on the left side of the frame the coil has 4h7 on it the right side is not the same and this feeds 1-4 I changed the low tention leads and she was back to the missfiring The engine is canadian and the frame is from the usa

6. quebecois59

The 4H7 TCI is the right model for your bike, according to the parts diagram.

On XJs the left coil is for #1 and #4 cylinders , and the right coil is for #2 and #3, according to the manual. This is the only right way.

7. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

I am just putting it down to the coils being put on the wrong side sometime in its life I will check xj650 the carbs again but it just feel like ignition if you know what I mean thanks again for the help this forum is a godsend

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Have you ever thought to check the valve clearances?

How many miles on the bike?

9. quebecois59

Hey Fitz, I think this is what he told at first:

"... I took the bull by the horn and did all what we are told on the forum, ie shims carb strip down balance and colour tune"...

10. junkmn

junkmn Member

HAve you synched the carbs? Not just a bench synch, but a synch with tha bike running and gauges or manometer hooked up?

11. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

Yes Ive done that but im going to do it again to make sure Ive had the plugs out and the mixture looks righr by the colours,

12. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Does your bike have the stock airbox and exhaust system? If not, it could be your jetting.

13. quebecois59

Did you check your plug wires and plug caps resistance?