1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb body cleaning methods

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SargeAF, Jul 1, 2022.

1. SargeAF

SargeAF New Member

Hello all.

I’m totally going through the carbs on my XJ700N and doing a complete clean/overhaul. In the past, I’ve media blasted and/or used a vapor hone to clean the outside of the carbs, but I didn’t have access to them this time, so I tried something different. I first used regular carb cleaner (spray) to remove most of the heavy deposits, then I cleaned them in warm, soapy water with a toothbrush and baking soda as a mild scrubbing/polishing agent….works pretty darn good. The first photo shows two carb bodies cleaned on top, and bottom has not been cleaned in soapy water/baking soda yet. Second pic shows the nice cast aluminum look with some sheen.

I also have to say, after I removed the brass plugs over the pilot fuel screws, I checked to see what the factory settings were; #1 was 1/4 turn from seated, #2 was 2 full turns, #3 and #4 were essentially zero turns out from seated…has anyone else ever seen this? I’ve never encountered any that were basically seated, or almost seated. Also, would a good starting point be 2.5 turns out for OEM pilot sizes (stock exhaust/airbox)? I’m going to use a colortune for finalizing the mixture, but just want to be in the ballpark.

Sarge

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

2.5 turns out is the usual baseline, most end up being around 2.75 to 3 turns out when colortuned.
    I can't recall ever finding idle mixture screws set to fuliy closed unless a prior owner or bad mechanic messed with them. Once upon a time the replacement anti-tamper plugs that came in the rebuild kits were brass just like the factory used, so it is possible that someone was in there before you.

Jetfixer likes this.