1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb boots are different between the 81 and 82 engines?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sbmaxim, May 27, 2008.

1. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

Sticking my 81's back on the 82 engine and ran into a problem, on the 81 engine the boot intakes are slanted like this

/ / / /

on the 82 engine they are slanted like this
    / / \ \

ok, my problem is the little piece on the top of each boot ends up being turned sideways. I don't know what the tip piece is for, it has a rubber piece that comes off. Can I just flip them around sideways, and make sure they are accesible from the side of the bike, or am I screwed? 2 of the boots are fine, but for whatever reason the tip is placed on the opposite side of the allen screw messing me up.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I think that you'll find that turning them sideway or 180-degrees is not going to work. The LH vs. RH intake manifolds are "bent" and twisted along their centerline.......LH intakes (#1/2) bend inwards to the right and upwards, while the RH intakes (#3/4) also bend inwards and upwards, but their bend is to the left.

In other words, the "bend" is always towards the centerline of the bike.

If this bend was ONLY towards the centerline, and did not also have an upward angle to it, then flipping one side 180-degrees and using it on the other side would not be a problem.

However, with the way that they are made, flipping one side "upside down" and installing it on the other side will get the inward "bend" more-or-less correct, but that intake will now be tilted "downward" rather than upward.

I don't think it's going to work...........

The brass nipple on each intake manifold is merely a vacuum port, normally 3 of the 4 are blocked off with the rubber caps, and only 1 (on the #3 intake) is used to supply vacuum for the petcock.....but actually, you can draw the vaccum for the petcock from any of them, as long as the other three are securely plugged off (any vacuum leak is big problem on these bikes!).

3. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

yeah your right, noticed it as soon as I went to put the others in sideway, talk about a sorry move by yamaha.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yeah, life would have been so much simpler and more cost-effective if they were in-line "mirror opposites" of each other. I guess the engineering department was coming off a 3-day drunk when they designed those....

5. Sbmaxim

Sbmaxim Member

Meh no harm done, 2 of the boots were not in too bad of shape so I just replaced them, atleast the other 2 are fixed