1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb cleaning

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by joe elliff, Jun 1, 2024.

1. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I have a curious question for you all

what is your preferred liquid solution that you use in your “ultra-sonic” cleaner? Why do you prefer it over other products you have used?

Is there a preferred ultrasonic cleaner you like if you have or have owned multiples?

I use simple green at full strength and just a cheapo HF cleaner. If what I use is wrong I don’t need beat up about it. Just reasons to change so I can have a better outcome

thanks

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think to each their own. What might work for one is not going to work for another. I started using sonic cleaners and then stopped. Well, I guess for cleaning the bodies of carbs they are good, but I found that they missed the hard-to-reach places that only a fine pic and human hand eye can reach. Compressed air and lots of TLC. Just a guess but this could really blow up to be a big thread.

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I use the gallon cans of NAPA csrb dip, the NAPA carburetor spray, and hand-work, and 100psi compressed air..... and a multitude of banjo/dulcimer/guitar string cut-offs, jet files, q-tips, etc......

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Just be aware that ultrasonic cleaners operate by creating tiny, tiny bubbles which, when the bubbles "explode", release a lot of energy and the shock waves created by this explosion is what does the "cleaning".

Low-power U/S cleaners ("tabletop" cleaners) don't really have enough energy to create the quantity of bubbles and to provide them the energy needed to explode with enough force to get inside the internal fuel passages and dislodge/degrade crystallized fuel remains. The type of fluid which you use is what's going to resolve that issue, and it has to be a pretty powerful SOLVENT (not just a degreaser or etcher, which formulas like Simple Green, etc. are). Something such as "Carb Dip", like what hogfiddles uses, is a solvent, but......the good solvents are petroleum based, are highly volatile, and U/S cleaners almost universally warn you against using such liquids in their cleaners......and they are correct in that statement. Especially if you heat the liquid, which causes the solvent to evaporate, and is thus just an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    hogfiddles and Timbox like this.
  5. BallAquatics

BallAquatics Active Member

I use Simple Green Pro HD. works great on aluminum parts. I get mine at Home Depot for around $15 a gallon.

I have a 22L Velvor Ultrasonic and don't know how I got along without it! I find that using the heat makes removing stubborn bits much easier. I've purchased some really rough racks of carbs on E-Bay and made them as good as new. Highly recommended!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]