1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carb swap

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by dmoen, Jun 10, 2013.

1. dmoen

dmoen New Member

no progress yet, but really considering it.

i want to swap to non cv carbs off like a cb 750... anyone done it?

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

The problem is finding a set that will fit your bike. The space between the carbs isn't the same on every manufacturer.
    What bike do you have? Put that info in your signature so everyone will know.
    There was an old post where someone put a Suzuki GSX750 rack on their XJ750, don't know what years. Some people have used the GSXR throttle bodies for a EFI conversion. Kehein CR rack has been put on a XJ. I did a 2 carb Mikuni round slide conversion that required making 2 into 1 manifolds and a few other mods. You could possibly put 4 round slide carbs on, but you would need to make the throttle and choke linkages.
    All the above would take some time and planning. 8)

3. dmoen

dmoen New Member

82 xj750.. I thought it was in my sig. Have to fix later. I have seen there they use throttle bodies, but I still want carbs. I measured a set of carbs at a buddies place the other day that were close enough I think would work. Not sure what carbs they were on, but it was a larger cc bike. Maybe 1000 ? Or a 900 not sure. Bike was just a parts bike. He's got TONS of parts bikes! Think I might get them and do a quick clean up and see what it runs like. Then re jet if need be, and let you guys know how it goes, and what they came off of.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Just curious. Why? CV carbs are about the best way to fuel an engine. Well set-up CVs are as good, or better than, EFI.

5. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

6. dmoen

dmoen New Member

Thrasher please why not so great for engine? Is the slightly uncontrollable amount of fuel? Or that there just not efficient like cc's. I've heard damn heard no one have GREAT luck, or find a way to sufficiently tune them for pods, or velocity stacks. Which is what I am running. I have not tuned mine, but have done a few plug chops, and it doesn't pop or shudder or bog. Mines ok, just an anal bitch to get the idle set. Little lean under absolute full throttle. Bt I've had pretty good luck in tuning standard carbs before. And I figure if I find an alternative way under let's say 300 bucks, to gain some power, and loose the nasty air box, I'm sure more then just I would opt for that solution...

Not trying to stir a pot of shit either with the "keep it stock" guys

7. k-moe

That actually sounds like it might be a good solution for you. The key will be finding a set of carbs that will match the cc/m of air that the engine wants. You can always fab a set of adapters if needed. Since you won't be connecting to an airbox, fitment should be a bit easier.

8. Orange-n-Black

Your 750 came with 32 mm carbs so look for the same size and jet for your bike.
    As for manifold boots(head side), lowbrow customs had some billet ones with rubber carb holders for the XS650, don't know if the flange will fit the XJ but the holders would allow some flexibility with the carb spacing.Check your manifolds for dimensions and call them for the dimensions of those. If they fit, you could probably put any carb rack on there.

9. Orange-n-Black

10. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

The reason it may not be good for the motor is, unfiltered air with dust, dirt and the occasional small child or animal getting sucked in the motor.

11. dmoen

dmoen New Member

haha ok. i thought you were talking about the carbs in general, not just the stacks

12. dmoen

dmoen New Member

well i ppicked up a rack of gs 750 or maybe 850 carbs and boots last night. might have some free time to mock up on spare motor. got to finish my bike for the weekend though. rewire lights, and install electrical box finishing things

13. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

By the time you make adapters you may not have room for air filters.

14. k-moe

The adapters won't take any more room than the ones the engine came with. He ( I hope ) isn't making adapters to hook the carbs to the factory intake manifolds; he's making some to use instead of the factory manifolds.

15. altlandf

altlandf Member

Anything would be better than the Hitachi carbs that are on my XJ650. The problems with these carbs that this site talks about I am not surprised someone hasn't solved the problems these things have. Got my owners card fixed went to get it inspected. Put 2 gallons of gas in the empty tank. Got back and the tank was empty. Got 22 miles off of 2 gallons of ethanol free gas. Sad.

16. k-moe

Stuck floats are not limited to Hitachi carbs. Carburetors are not maintainance-free components, no matter who makes them. Welcome to one of the many joys of owning an older vehicle :D

This has been a sarcasm-free post (really).

17. paul.hardy

paul.hardy Member

I consistently get 40 miles to the gallon with the standard Hitachi's which I think is not bad for this type of bike and the riding I do. the only people that seem to bitch about these carbs are the ones trying to run pods and stuff.

18. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

better drain your oil and check the float levels.

CN

19. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

A long time ago Shooter set up a set of carbs off a cb750 non cv i am not sure how it made out i believe he sold his xj and is no longer on this sight. I will look and see what i can find

20. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member