1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carb sync question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mafia101, May 26, 2011.

1. mafia101

mafia101 Member

I have searched high and low and cant find an easy direct answer. I have a couple issues.
    First--- I took my carbs out and found that the floats were stuck and I`m not sure how to adjust them ( specifications).The actual needles are sort of rusty and the floats look real old. I moved the float and the actual seat never moves. This was true for 3 of the 4 carbs.
    Second--- can I adjust my carbs without the YICS tool. I hope it is possible.I guess from an adjustment I need to start from a bench sync first and then fine tune???? I have no idea where to start. i am guessing that I need to set the butterfly gap and then re-set the little brass flat head screws to some starting point. I did verify that all of the vacuum cylinder things move freely. I am not sure of jet sizes or anything and I did check that the valves are all set correctly. i found a procedure on that.
    Any help or a link to one or both questions would be great.
    My bike is an 1982 maxim XJ750.

2. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

The carbs will need to be cleaned or rebuilt first. There are several posts on cleaning carbs. This is a link to one. Another is found by searching for" In the church of clean" by Chacal. You cannot do a partial job and expect good results. You are in for a whole lot of hurt if you don't follow step by step. The YICS tool or a variation is required to get the final setting.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... rhaul.html

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can use a strip of oil-soaked t-shirt material to block the YICS if you don't have access to the "tool."

In order:

Valves in spec.
    Carbs religiously cleaned, as in disassembled and CLEANED.
    Bench sync.
    Float levels set and confirmed using fuel and the "clear tube method."
    Running vacuum sync (using a manometer of some sort, and YICS blocked)
    Mixture tuning (ColorTune, plug chops, "idle-drop" by ear, etc.)

If you've already checked the valve clearances, then proceed with the carbs.

4. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Looks like while I wait for my new coils and carb boots I'll get to carb cleaning. Now is there going to be different specs to setting up the carbs with aftermarket 4-into-1 exhaust? Also I am running pods (they were already installed when I bought the murdercycle) and would I need to rejet if performance is lagging? I never got to try the new exhausted, but with stock pipes and pods it would bog out a little...I'm rambling Thanks!

5. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

6. bigfitz52

Running pods with an aftermarket 4-1 will most likely require rejetting, yes.

Look in chacal's catalog in the "XJ4Ever-Supporting Vendor" forum http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14561.html in the carb parts section there is a set of guidelines in regard to rejetting for various combinations of intake and exhaust mods.

But until your valve clearances are in spec, you'll be beating your head against the wall with the carbs.

Adjust the valves yet?

7. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

No I haven't and I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I don't know my way around carbs to even find the valves. I believe there was a carb cleaning thread that had it all step by step I was going to reference.

8. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

9. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Oh those valves...I think I need some kind of holder or special tool to hold the valves to take the shims out correct?

10. iwingameover

11. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

You guys are the sh!t.

12. bigfitz52

Just be sure you have the valves in spec BEFORE you start trying to vacuum sync the carbs or you'll drive yourself nuts.

13. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

I am going to be honest. If you know nothing about the carbs and adjusting valves maybe there is a member that lives near you that will help you or do it cheap while you watch. There are so many things to clean and check and if your not familiar you could possibly get in trouble. I am sure you can do it but a little help would probably give you peace of mind

14. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

I appreciate your concern. I actually have a good friend (well a couple that ride) that usually come over and help me out. And little by little I've been getting into the various aspects of motorcycle maintenance. I'm actually excited to do this though and as long as I stick to the guidance I've been given on here and through friends I think I can swing it.

15. iwingameover

I'm +/- an hour south if you end up needing more help then your friends can provide. I'm booked weekends through mid july unless you can get it down here.

16. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Yeah I'll definitely let you know. P.S. how did that ride go that you told me about? I think it was MD to DE to PA and back or something like that.

17. iwingameover

it went well. Didn't follow the map exactly but it was a good day of riding. We had 4 xj's and a kawi versys.

18. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

That's awesome did you guys take any pics?

19. iwingameover

I thought I took more but when I got home there were only 3. My bike, OldschoolOtter's 550 and one of the Kawi I believe. When/if I get home tonight I'll post them to that ride thread.

20. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Saweet. I'm house sitting and it's got a great shop in the basement I can't wait to (gently) tear the bike apart ha.