1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CARBS the iconic curse/HELP

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by joshua, Sep 6, 2009.

1. joshua

joshua Member

Well this baby wont idle at all unless the choke is slightly engaged.#3 carb is rich as well black tip plug. the other 3 are sweet as sugar. What is the problem here? is the choke cable need adjustment? What problem causes poor idle? other than carbs...LOL. gonna get some new plugs but the ones available local are resistors and the guy said they would work just fine. I wonderr??? does this affect the ignition spark with additional resistance? The standard plug is a ngk bp7es. would moving to a bp6es be that dramatic and endanger pistons? dont have a chart as to the characteristics o these plugs have seen one but forgotten the details.
    ANYONE GOT A CLUE AND AN ANSWER??

2. joshua

joshua Member

ANYONE I SO SCREWED THIS UP HELPPPPPPPP

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If your Petcock Vacuum Hose is connected to the No.-3 Hole, ... remove the Vacuum Hose from the Manifold, plaace it to your lips and draw a vacuum on the Hose.
    If you taste gas ... the Vacuum Membrane in the Petcock is perforated and gas is getting drawn through the Hose.

4. joshua

joshua Member

it doesnt leak. there are no drips and no gas smell with the engine shut off.i was thinkin that maybe the idle misture screw was too rich but didnt wanna do too much as it does run. it just wont idle i can slightly (barely even) twist the throttle to get it up to 1050 but after it warms up andi shut off the choke it wont stay up. Adjusment? clogged choke circuit? idle jets got junk in it? wheni first got the bike it used to race up and down with choke engaged,but i ran some carb cleaner conditioner through with the gas and this problem went away. figured sticky sliders or something like that. maybe it needs a CHURCH O CLEAN done on it? i just dont know and as i understand basic mechanical functions i would be more of a parts changer than a real mechanic.(truth be told) and a novice doin a church o clean without a guru standin by or even me watchin one first i just do not have the confidence to attempt it with a high degree of expectation. Not scared of it either but i ripped one set open to have a look on my RK that sat for 14 years and they were bad but the #4 carb was really junked up badly,and i didnt find this resource til a month ago to help with the techy stuff. THANKS RICK you guys are great.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Here's the clue: "Will run a little on Choke"

You have to have those "Quarter-of-a-Century" Carbs, ... Cleaned!
    Everything cleaned.
    Bores scrubbed and polished.
    Fuel & Air Passages flushed.
    Inline Fuel Filter installed to protect cleaning work.

The Bottom Line ...
    The diagnosis is: Its the Carbs.

If you have a pet cat ... hold the cat over the gas tank for 20-seconds.
    No sense starting the job without a Cat Scan, first!

6. mindwebs

mindwebs Member

Re: CARBS the iconic curse

8O Cat scan... wow...

that's a new twist on things....

i was thinking along the same lines..

clean the carbs..

but as a test you may try syncing the carbs first just for grins..

if your machine has YICS then i recomend the block off tool.

it helps improve you accuracy in syncing the carbs.

but it's your wheels you're the boss.

7. joshua

joshua Member

cat scan THATS HILARIOUS Rick. thanks for the laugh. hey guys i appreciate all the input really do,and as it is MY bike yes i guess bein the boss is true,but bein a NOVICE at this stuff makes it double daggone hard. Yes it is a yics,no i dont have the tool. there is a guy in central florida that contacted me so i guess maybe ridin up and spendin some time in his head and garage may be helpful. Love to ride me HATE to work on em,mostly cause of limited experience AT IT. so i sought the masters at xjbikes for the techy stuff i dont know. i have a manual,a brain and some BASIC tools,but workinon these machines require special tools that i dont have. its not an excuse but i want my machine to run well and carefree as possible. i bought a parts bike to LEARN on so i dont screw mine up so much.
    ok guess thats my story much as it is sad but i am TRYIN to do this stuff,so thanks for your patience and GREAT jokes too.

8. midnightmaxim13

midnightmaxim13 Member

hey man, dont worry to much about the carbs as far as the difficulty. i was havin carb issues but thanks to our boy rick's thread about carb cleanin i had em apart and back together in no time at all. they realy arent as hard as they seem.

9. joshua

joshua Member

ya man i have one apart now,and it isnt that big a deal. the onlyissue i got is synchin and PROPERLY cleanin the nooks and crannies,viewin church o clean now. thanks for the encouragement though much appreciated.

10. maxim1982

maxim1982 New Member

Hi everybody, i'm the new guy on the block that just bought a 82 750 maxim with the same problem. The bike starts with a push of the starter button but won't idle. My first try is going to be sea foam in the gas tank to try to clean out the carbs. I have a carb synchro tool already since i own a royal star venturethat has four carbs. What is the block off tool that was mentioned? I live in se michigan so if there is any good carb guys out there that want to do a good deed and help out a fellow member let me know.

11. Galamb

Galamb Member