1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carfax?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dkavanagh, Jul 29, 2019.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Does anybody have a subscription? I assume they work for motorcycles as well?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Are you looking for motorcycles that have been in a wreck? Are you wondering if the older 80's bikes are in the carfax data base? If you can get the vin this is what I run before I buy a bike
    https://www.nicb.org/vincheck
    I would guess that most of the barn finds and the ones that have been sitting for yrs and yrs would not be in the data base. The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is what I look the bike up before I buy, so at least I can get a bonded title if the bike has no title. As for a wreck, I would just look over the bike really wall and see if there is any damage. I have found a XB12 in the Chicago area on the "C" list that was on the NICB list for both stolen and had been in a wreck.

3. dkavanagh

I'm looking at a 1990 FZR1000 and the price is good, so naturally, the "needs nothing" statement raises plenty of doubts

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes get the vin slap it in that link and see what comes up. If they do not send you the vin the game is over. Good luck!

5. dkavanagh

he sent me a picture of his title! The bike has <7K miles and he's asking $1234.
    but, comes up clean when I looked up the VIN.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

KBB value for a trade in is $1655.00 and if you buy one at the local shop it is $3530.00 so...you would be getting it under what the book is asking. If it is something you like and it is clean and running?? Well you might have another bike in the stable soon. Good luck :)

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Did you get it yet?

9. firebane

firebane Active Member

Even if a bike was listed on Carfax.. I don't see a point. The history of a motorcycle is nothing like a car that people would just usually fix the stuff rather than go through insurance.

10. dkavanagh

I'm in Denver for the week, so I let the guy know I couldn't think coming to get it till next weekend.
    One thing I did appreciate from doing the VIN report is when the bike was titled. It was initially titled in 1993, then again this May. So, I've asked him about how it came to own the bike and why selling after 2 months.. curious to see what he has to say. Honestly, if it's intact in complete, it'll be great at that price. I am certainly willing to look after a few things at that price.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If he owned it for two months looks like it will be a flip. But as you say, if it is a complete bike and in good shape, it is a great price.

12. dkavanagh

Going to look at it this weekend
    . 64224547_880552382285572_3248057691771240448_n.jpg

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got to love those big Delta frames, I have to admit when one takes the time to shine up all the aluminum to a mirror finish, those frames look really nice. Good luck and I hope you bring her back at a good price.

14. dkavanagh

update: I asked about the $1234 price. turns out he really wanted $2200 and said that facebook wasn't complained when he tried... whatever. After some discussion, met in the middle at $1700, which is just above trade-in value. If I get there and it's looking good, it should be at my house Monday evening.