1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

chain removal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DarthBob, Feb 3, 2008.

1. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

One of my off-season projects is replacing the chain and sprockets on the 550, there's no more adjusting and its pretty loose. According to the Clymer manual removal involves taking off the swing arm, as the chain is a continuous closed loop with no master link. But any chain I buy is not going to come this way, right? So can I just break/cut the chain that's on there and remove it without taking off the swingarm? And any suggestions on what kind of chain to replace it with? nothing fancy, close to stock.

2. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

You can grind off the heads on a link and remove the chain. Position the link over the rear sprocket, grind away (on the outside of the chain) and then use a flat punch to move the pins. You should have a split link supplied with your new chain to re-join it.

You'll want to change the sprockets as well (otherwise the new chain will wear prematurely).

Chain type? O ring is best - they last the longest.