1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CHECK IT OUT... My 82 XJ 1100 Custom Bobber is done

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by F.H., Feb 16, 2011.

1. F.H.

F.H. Member

Hey guys, this bobber took me 6 months to build but its finally done, enjoy the photos. However, the jetting is off. It seems to produce a bobbing sound on higher RPMS. A buddy told me to ride it with the choke pulled, and i must say, it helps alot, but does not entirley puts the bike to PAR. What seems to be the problem? should I get smaller Main Jets? hence it seems to be having a problem providing enough air? take into consideration that I already have 4 filter pods, and a custom open 4 to 2 exhaust! so shouldnt i be okay on the air flow?

thanx and enjoy
    Doc
    The Start
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Harley Davidson Controls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Toys
    [​IMG]

2. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

I Like!

3. XJNEWFIE

XJNEWFIE Member

very nice job...

4. acesfullof8s

acesfullof8s New Member

Bike Looks awesome. Where did you get that front cover thats below the headlight? I've been looking for something like that to cover some wires I have that are exposed after I did a headlight a guage mod. Thanks

5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I like the look too...but I would figure your problem running LEAN (too much air, not enough fuel being drawn up into the air stream), mostly due to the pods although the free flowing exhaust won't help much either. Did you rejet the carbs? You'd need to go up many jet sizes to even hope to compensate for all that airflow. Did you rebuild them at all? How do your plugs look? What about at higher RPM?

Do a search for pods on this forum to get links to what people think of them...and more importantly for you, how to possibly make them work. You don't want to be rebuilding an engine in short order because you holed a piston. These bikes can SCREAM when they're lean, but they won't run like that for long.

6. F.H.

F.H. Member

the grill "cover under the lamp" came with the bike. I just painted it... it used to be chrome. its off of an 1982 maxim xj1100, the part number is 10M2312200. but they are not available any more. try to ask around on here to see if anyone has one that would sell to you.

7. F.H.

F.H. Member

ManBot13,

I rebuilt the carb:

Pilots are 47.5 (stock size but new), considering stepping up to 50's

Mains are 0.138 (stage III dyno jets), I also have 0.128s and 0.124s

I had put 0.190 Pilot Air Jets, which the instructions from DynoJet had said to replace regardless of the stage upgrade, but the guy at the shop who had tuned the carb, had said that it was running too rich?!!!! so he took them off and put something else (i dunno what he replaced them with)

Note: but hence it rides smoother with the choke pulled out, doesnt that mean that its running richer on gas. choke adds air, righ?! so if I put smaller mains, providing less gas, that should even out the ratio, no?!

Thanx...

8. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Again I'm not too familiar with the 1100s, so I'm just going to assume it's similar to my 750. The "choke" is actually an enrichment circuit, so it adds more fuel, not less air.

Either way, if you need choke to run right then you are running too lean. There is a lot of discussion about pods on the forum, and since I don't have them or an 1100 i can't give you any more specific advice, but from what I have read, you can reach a point where there isn't enough air flowing through the air circuits to pick up enough fuel to mix with the air in the venturi.

It looks like you didn't leave room for the airbox, but putting it back in is the simplist solution to tuning (you'd still need to do some tuning for the exhaust). You could also get a set of larger slide carbs. The problem is that these engines didn't have any problem breathing from the factory.

9. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Now that is a BOBBER I'd want! Nothing against them normally, but I like this one!

I really like how the exhaust and parts of the engine are blacked out.

Also the stock XJ style tank really does work with that seat and the rear fender.

10. iowafowler

iowafowler New Member

I too was curious about the grille deal and just purchased one on ebay for $12

11. iowafowler

iowafowler New Member

I too was curious about the grille deal and just purchased one on ebay for $12

12. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

What happened to all the left over parts?

13. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

stunning...I love it AND THE PODS TOO!!! Ride the piss outta it and be careful, especially with that brake light only on one side...

14. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

RE: Chokes.

A "real" choke restricts airflow, not adds it. That's why it's called a "choke."

The "choke" on your bike (and yes, it's the same as the others) is actually an enrichening circuit, which dumps more fuel to the carbs. Since it provides the same basic function as a choke (to enrichen the mixture) they call it the "choke."

That and "enrichment circuit" wouldn't fit on the label on the handlebar cluster.

You might want to do a forum search on "pods."

15. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Vary plain looking.

You could eliminate the External Wire running down to the Tail Light.
    Drill 2 Holes.
    Feed-in some Thread.
    Vacuum the Thread out the Bottom Hole. Pull that wire through.
    Grommets or not.

If you have no plans for the two vacant holes where the rear Footpegs would mound.
    "Finish" the vacancy.
    Something. Anything.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 29,r:0,s:0

>Or<

4FcTee1J5O2tgesg_GECw&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

16. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Sweet, I like the clean look. It would look better next to mine in my garage. Sounds a bit lean, time to remove the carbs and put new jets in. Then tune. Wish I cOuld tell you what jets but my bobber is a 650.

17. F.H.

F.H. Member

thanx for the support fellas...

ordered bigger pilots and mains... will put em on and test it out till its right...

and Mlew, you dont wanna know about the left over parts ;(
    trashed it all, the bike was such a junk, all the parts were crap anyways

18. waldo

waldo Member

Keep us updated on the jetting bike looks great!!! Clean minimal

19. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you are running Pods, ... BEFORE you start the experimentation with various sizes of FUEL Jets ... MODIFY the Intake Horn to ALLOW the Atmosphere Orifice to be ISOLATED from the Turbulence of the Intake Air Stream.

Fabricate a "Plate" that will fit over the Atmosphere Inlet at the Top of the Intake Horn.
    Seal it from the rushing volume of AIR passing-over it.
    Cover the Orifice preventing the Vortex from having any effect upon it.

Drill a Hole to Vent the back of that Orifice to Atmosphere.
    With the NEW Vent away from the VORTEX, ... Atmosphere will not be adversely affected by the Vortex.
    AIR, ... Needed to ENTER the Orifice to supply the AIR JETS ... and ... let the Diaphragm Rubber collapse to raise the Needle Jet will be supplied.

With ATMOSPHERE at the Orifice.
    >> There will be an ample supply of fresh air to surround the Emulsion Tube and be drawn-up INTO the Venturi.

The Mixture is suddenly going to be far less LEAN as a result.
    [​IMG]

20. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

Rick nobody knows WTF you are talking about without pics fella