1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

choke cable issue (stupid problem but a problem none the less)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cg82, Sep 22, 2018.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hi Colin, glad to hear that the issue was resolved...…….by chance do you have the actual measurements (wire + end bullets) and the sheath lengths of this cable that you bought? Because all of the original cables that I've ever bought are about the same length as the motion pro cables....and the length of the end fittings (bullets, barrels, whatever you want to call them...……..are included in the "wire length" measurements below, i.e. it is the longest possible measurement you can obtain of the wire including their end fittings):

HCP2645 (motion pro):
    wire overall length: 39-7/8"
    sheath overall length: 36-7/8"

HCP27010 (the TSK brand original replacement cable, TSK is an oem supplier to many of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers):
    wire overall length: 39-1/2"
    sheath overall length: 37-1/8"

HCP2710 (the 5L8-26331 oem Yamaha replacement for the original 4H7-26331 XJ650 Maxim cable):
    wire overall length: 40-1/8"
    sheath overall length: 37-1/2"
    Note that this Yamaha supersede cable is even longer (by 1/4") than the motion pro cable...……

You noted that the cable you found is about 40mm shorter than the motion pro cable, 40mm = about 1-5/8", so going by the motion pro cable length, 39-7/8" wire length minus 1-5/8" = 38-1/4" wire length......is that correct? Are you using the stock handlebars and control swith on your bike?

Or any other XJ650 Maxim or Midnight Maxim owners with original bars...……..can you measure your cables for me (you'll probably need to disconnect/remove the cable to get a truly accurate length). Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    spacetiger110 and k-moe like this.
  2. cg82

cg82 Member

I don't have the bike at my place as its actually my brothers bike but I can try to get a length in the next few weeks. If you go onto the motion pro website and enter the bike 1980, xj650maxim all the parts they offer come up. in a little note right next to the choke cable it says it is 40mm longer than oem. if you click on cable that note is nowhere in the description, only on the page that shows all of the parts that motion pro offers. so bizarre