1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch slippage or bad tach?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by phred, Jul 30, 2006.

1. phred

phred Member

Ok, I finally got my title for my new Xj-650. changed the oil, brake fluid, adjusted valves, pressurized the forks. Runs great, looks crappy...... loads of fun. Less than $800 invested. Bought it from the original owner who rode is daily to work.
    The tach bounces between 3500 and 4000 in top gear when i'm cruising at a set speed. (50 ish) I can't hear the engine speed increasing or decreasing. It doesn't bounce more under full throttle, or if it's above 4000. [and the clutch doesn't slip under hard acceleration in lower gears. ] I'm thinking I just have a tach that's a little flakey. What do you guys think?

PS the oil I am using is a little questionable for additives. It is Quakerstate 4x4 blend, a friend of mine uses it on his bikes and swears he never has slippage issues. (And if that psycho can't get it slip niether should I) I will probably switch to Rotella for the next oil change.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

I would say since you don't hear an RPM change that your tach is suspect. Pull it and the drive cable, clean and relube them. Test and let us know what happens (or doesn't).

3. HooNz

HooNz Member

yep me too , if can no hear motor changing rpm has to be the tacho!

4. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

If you clutch is slipping them when your in a higher gear like 4th and close to lugging it and you give it throttle you should hear it slipping.
    I dont know about rotella oil though and I dont know about Quakerstate 4x4 oil either. I've always had bad luck with Quakerstate oil, myself.
    If the clutch dont slip I'd say ride it and enjoy.
    MIke

5. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

According to this:
    http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/produc ... tic4x4.asp
    your clutch may slip with this oil. The friction modifiers are what cause us slippage. I don't know what bike your friend has but it may not be affected because it has a clutch a different material on the plates or may have a seperate tranny. But I would be tempted to change my oil to something that is made for bikes or we know does work in our bikes and see if the problem abates.

6. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Here's what I use and what the mfgr says:

SAE 5W-50:
    Provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W-50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; Ford WSS-M2C931-A and the engine protection requirements of GM 4718M, ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils

Which Oil to Buy
    NO LEADING MOTOR OIL PROVIDES MORE HORSEPOWER THAN CASTROL SYNTEC*
    Key Benefits
    • SYNTEC provides superior protection against deposits. Corrosive particles such as acid, soot and oxidized fuel fragments can cause costly damage to critical engine parts.
    • SYNTEC contains a Powerful Additive Package that neutralizes corrosive particles, preventing them from grouping together and forming sludge.
    • Neutralizes acids in your engine that can cause rust and corrosion on vital engine parts such as cylinders, bearings and hydraulic valve lifters.
    • SYNTEC meets the world's toughest gasoline engine protection requirements.
    • SYNTEC provides Stability & Endurance under extreme conditions (heat, load, speed) that can cause conventional oils to break down.
    • SYNTEC delivers the ultimate performance under high-temperature conditions: unsurpassed protection against volatility burn-off and viscosity increase.
    • SYNTEC can be used with confidence in every gasoline engine passenger car, new or old, regardless of oil previously used.
    • SYNTEC is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils.
    • SYNTEC offers a level of protection that Outperforms All Leading Conventional Oils, passing severe industry torture tests.

Here's a link to wht their website says:
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/generica ... Id=6003468

NOTE no additives that prevent friction loss to cause slippage

Attached Files:

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Wow! Own stock in Castrol perchance Hvnbnd? I'm a diehard Castrol fan as well, been using it in all my vehicles since 87. Nothing protects or lasts as well. Good stuff.

8. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Nope no stock. Just realy sold on the stuff!
    And I keep seeing people wanting someone to tell them which oil is best for these bikes... so... here is what I like.

9. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

Possible new avatar for Hvn?

[​IMG]

:lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the tip on that. I'll try it on my next oil change.

10. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I like that.... You dont think they sue me??

11. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

nah, it's free publicity for them!

Maybe someone fron Castrol will stumble upon it and send you some free products :p

hmmm, I should put a brand on my avatar too...free stuff is good....

12. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

OK, Check it out!! :p
    Maybe we'll get rich, Maybe we'll be famous, Maybe we could buy new bikes, Maybe........ :roll:
    I think I'll shut up now. :wink:

Maybe I'll try it out for a while if you don't mind.
    Mike

13. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

go to town :D

Anyone else want a brand logo on their avatar pic? :p

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm cool. I know that we tried to get Yamaha to buy off on us using their tuning forks for our site logo and they politely told us to shove off. Pity, as you mentioned, free advertising by a bunch of devotee's. Their loss.

15. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

Maybe we'll have better luck with parts, accessory and tool companies :p

The site gets enough its and has enough active members I'd say.