1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CNYCC#16 - June 10,2023

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by hogfiddles, Jul 24, 2022.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Well, the Inspector passed away a few weeks back .... 14yrs old, but he would have approved everything.

upload_2023-6-11_20-46-11.jpeg

It’s all put away. And ready for CNYCC#17 .... next June 8, 2024—LEAP YEAR!!

So looking back over the years, we’ve had:
    Hot - upper ‘80’s
    Cold - not getting outbid the 60’s, and couple frosty nIghts for those who camp
    Sun - yaaay! Like this year
    Rain - like quite a few other years ... one washout year that we just sat under the tent and watched it pour. Then at 5pm the sun peeked out and ALL THREE of us went for road-spray-soaked ride.
    COVID - yep... CNYCVCC - Central New York CoronaVirus Carb Clinic.we laughed in the face of the pandemic, “social distancing”, “masks”, “sanitizer”, “”one person cooks and serves....”..... all became common terms we never ever DREAMED we’d use—- and a bottle of Corona Antidote was a door prize to take home for everyone over 21. Nobody was under 21, but they wouldn’t need it anyway, right?

Then to top it off.... THIS year ——
    CNYCC#16 - “Welcome to Mars “ Edition, due to the incredible smokefrom wildfires raging to the north. Fortunately the weather changed literally the day before, And the dark acrid red sky cleared and we had gorgeous weather yesterday and today.

Well, it’s over! Time to catch a breath the start planning for next year:)
    4CB29014-F51D-4C51-AFB4-3C5B71C3715B.jpeg

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Congrats Dave and to all the participants for another job well done!

3. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Unless I'm greatly mistaken that seal would normally pull out, just like the ones on the GSs in the same application.

4. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Hi all,

CNYCC#16 was great! I am working on a few videos including a ride-out/participant and bike highlight, as well as an overview of Len Chacal's new oil gallery plug / oil pressure gauge installation and notes. I've got some drone footage of the ride out at the end of the carb clinic.

I wanted to call out a few of my favorite moments from CNYCC#16:
    • This was my first CNYCC where I am bike-less. I drove in and did not participate in the ride. I was happy to be able to provide technical support, and to have the honor to work on some video files to showcase the CNYCC, including the unique tribute to Ken in watching as his bike started right up for the first time this season. I was honored to meet his wife and son, and to learn of their intentions to support his memory and keep motorcycling alive in their family
    • I found it funny that at a Carb Clinic we only tore into a single carb rack, more for educational purposes since it came off a bike that did not get started at the clinic (maybe we should rename these things, huh? LOL)
    • Touching on the last point, I think that the benefit for those considering attending Carb Clinics in the future, or those who think their bikes are okay but haven't had a true XJ'er look at them is summed up well in our post-ride identification and on-site repair of a bent foot brake pedal bend and rear brake adjustment. What always strikes me with the carb clinics is how often the most impactful and best learning experiences at the Carb Clinics don't come from scheduled/expected maintenance, but instead from the observations and input of everyone simply admiring each others' motorcycles - and fixing those problems on-site for giving advice on how to do it without replacing parts or dropping a wad of cash at the attendees' local bike shops
    • The stories. I aspire to one day own a bike who despite being nothing to laugh at on it's own, claims the defining feature is a dead woodpecker (and the story to go along with it)
    • Speaking of stories, the close calls many attendees had, and the camaraderie of attending and swapping stories. Carb Clinics are great for meeting new friends or connecting with old contacts. I strongly recommend anyone who is on the fence to attend - it is worth it!

In the meantime, I want to thank Dave for yet another fantastic Carb Clinic - in fact, let's thank all those hosting Carb Clinics across North America for their continued support and passion for these wonderful machines. I feel like every time I attend I meet more amazing people, hear the stories of their awesome bikes, and learn something new about the bikes (even though I'm sure others would consider me knowledgeable / an expert in my own light).

Also a HUGE shout out to Len Chacal / XJ4Ever for continuing to support us with new and aftermarket parts to keep these machines running for decades to come

5. hogfiddles

I guess you weren’t here for the ones we ended up calling the “Everything-BUT-Carbs Clinics”..... lol

It was great to see you again.... what’s it been—8 yrs or so? It was nice to have you back, along with your skills from having built/restored several xj’s yourself.

Yeah, it was a bit emotional when Ken’s bike finally roared to life .... not having been ridden in two years, and only briefly started back in November- when it fired up and settled into an idle, the tears were flowing, and my wife said to Alicia.... “You’re getting to hear his voice again”, and for me... getting to ride my friends bike for quick shake-down ride, and and Alicia literally running to get her jacket- my wife letting her borrow a helmet, so I could take her for a ride on “her” bike again..... we rode only about 5 mi, but she got to ride “Lucy”, Ken’s xj650 Maxim again....those two having ridden thousands of miles together.

ksigurdsen likes this.
  6. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Looks like a good time. Hope I can make next year's get together. Life got in the way this year June 8th is marked for next year

7. Dwayne_Verhey

Dwayne_Verhey Member

Congratulations Dave on another fine job! I've followed the CNYCC since it's inception and am always impressed. I'm looking forward to the drone footage.

tafn

Dwayne

8. hogfiddles

Would love to have you be able to come down next time :)

9. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Canada funk is back in Minneapolis now.
    IMG_4428.jpeg

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Funk all that smoke!

ksigurdsen likes this.
  11. Dwayne_Verhey

Dwayne_Verhey Member

<lol> Fair. As you said on the XJ Owner's forum: "Maybe some day". This spring my life has been absolute chaos and I barely got things ready for the NOCC this past weekend.

Look at it this way: I'm there in spirit. Every time you make use of one of the custom tools it's like I'm there helping out. ;-)

12. hogfiddles

Believe you me— they’ve been used a lot, too!! And they are still very much appreciated, and I tell them who made them :) we didn’t need to use them this time though——

I understand the chaos thing.... same here, and I got a bad case of sciatica just about a month ago, and it’s not getting better yet..... boy was it tough getting set up this time

Huntchuks likes this.
  13. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

We are still getting smoked out by Canada here in MN.

I feel bad for all you Canadians, but jeez, that’s enough.

I had to stop on the ride home because my eyes were burning.