1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Coat Hanger aka Valve shim tool

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Labradorian_XJ550, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

last night i pulled all my shims using a piece of COATED wire coat hanger, after reading numerous posts about the tool and the zip-tie method which also mentions using electrical wire, i remembered using a piece of coat hanger to fish some wiring for my dish washing under my cupboards, it is thick wiring with a hard plastic cover, feels harder than the zip-tie plastic, this worked perfectly, i first tested the durability in a vice, plastic didn't come off only flattened out a bit, i turned it around used the other end for the valves and the plastic was in better shape after doing the 8 valves than the vice test....... just wanted to pass along my little success story for shim removal. After reading a bunch of posts, i felt a little nervous about doing this, but if you take your time (have a couple of beers while doing it, not too many tho :) ) it is actually not that hard......

I am getting closer to getting life back into the beast.... a few more things to do and parts to buy...... i will be contacting you know who soon enough...

2. Ternk

Ternk Member

Right on. I used the bulky cube on the end of a zip tie to do mine, but was worried about the tie cracking and coming apart inside my piston chamber. I bet your method is much safer.