1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cold weather riding and funny noises

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 85MaximXX, Oct 4, 2008.

1. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Hey all,

Well this morning 3:30 or so I started up the X to head back home from hunting with the Father in law and friends. Ledt the bike warm up for a few minutes and take off for home(windshield and seats full of frost.) Got 1/4 mile down the road and heard a awful squeal sounded like a bearing frozen but still spinning. speedo worked well tach :eek:k I didn't feel any resistance like it was a wheel bearing. It went away on Decel then came back as I pucked up speed.

Are there any adjustments I need to make for riding in these cold temps?

Off the top of my head I can think the mixtures should be richened up a bit(hopefully I didn't kill something already. I am already running the Rotella T 15-40 and I think I remember the cover saying 10-40 for lower temps. It has been a about 1000Mi since I changed the oil and filter so I probably will do that again. I will recheck the tire Psi as with the cold weather they might be a tad low but they don't feel it.

Any other thoughts on things to check for riding in 30-45* temps? As until I get the cager legal this is my only ride.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Air-cooled or water-cooled? I would say go to 10W-40 if you're going to have to ride in those kind of temps with any regularity. Did the noise go away once the bike warmed up?

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Sounds like the starter clutch. Not disengaging and you hear the starter spinning. When you decelerate the starter is spinning faster than the engine so the sound goes away.

Mine used to do it for just a second when it was really cold.

I'd try the 10w40 for this time of year. Hopefully that'll clear it up.

4. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Man,
    With that much frost, be careful of any black ice on the roads....
    tagged a spot last fall, and ended up on my side pretty fast...

5. bigfitz52

I wonder what the terminal RPM of an XJ starter motor is?

6. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Terminal rpm hmm I would think any prolonged rotation could be harmful.
    Fitz it is a liquid cooled model.

It didn't do it tonight but it isn't as cold and not nearly as long sitting outside awaiting my return. The noise didn't start until I was down the road tho would a starter clutch re-engage for some reason?? I went 1/4 mile or so I it didnt' kick in to probably 20-25 sounded nasty I thought maybe the speedo cable freezing up I don't know what they lube them with from the factory but it is only a few months old.

Yup always careful on the bike and more careful in the cold but I like riding almost any chance I get. When the ice gets on the road I will put er' up for the winter unless we get some nice days..

7. wizard

wizard Active Member

you got antifreeze in there. Na forget it course you have.

8. SirchNoslen

SirchNoslen New Member

Mine did the same thing the other day on the way home I thought I had broke a spedo cable or something but it seemed to still be working fine the next time I rode the bike it had gone away. I haven't had the problem again and it only seemed to make the noise after I got up to about 25 MPH. I would also like to know anyones thoughts on what this might be. My bike is air cooled.

9. jfd85

jfd85 New Member

I to have the same thing going on. this is the first year i'v been riding in the colder weather so i'v never noticed it before. but yes i can account for the same thing, the bike starts to make a high pitched whining sound after some speed is picked up then it goes away when you slow down to a stop. I'm no mechanic so i have no idea what it is, it kind of sounds like the tire rubbing to me though or some sort of rubbing, can't feel anything though. I find that the sound does go away after the bike has fully warmed up.
    Any suggestions?

10. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

mine hasn't done it since but it hasn't been down in the low 30's again when I had to ride it so it is still a mystery to me.

11. bigfitz52

I'm betting speedo cable. Or tach cable, but I'm betting speedo cable (mine was doing it too, just started when it turned cold) pulled it out, cleaned it, relubed with tri-flo and it hasn't reoccurred (Yet.) There is another possibility, the speedo or tach itself. The tach on my other Seca just died a horrible screaming death, NOT the cable, on a shakedown run in 45-degree weather. Then again, on a watercooled bike, could it be related to a 23-year old water pump?

12. cole9900

cole9900 Member

+1 on Bigfitz reply. My money is on speedo cable. Loosen it from top, let some lube (either graphite for cables or just penetrating oil) drip into the cable, then pack some white grease inside the knurled fitting and reattach. Bet the noise is gone.

13. jfd85

jfd85 New Member

that would make sense because this summer my speedo cable actually detached en route, i noticed it right away luckily and was able to walk back and pick up the piece so it probably got nice and dirty. would dw40 do the job?

14. bigfitz52

NO. NONONO. WD40 is evil. WD40 is fine for cleaning things, spraying the bike down for winter storage, etc., DO NOT use it to lubricate cables!!! I found out the hard way that WD40 gets GUMMY over time, it dries out and loses its ability to lubricate. I had used it to lube the cables on my Norton some years back and after about half the season I found myself romping into a corner WAY TOO HOT with a hung throttle. Throttle cables that I had lubed with WD40 were all gummed up. I prefer a product called Tri-Flo, it is a bit expensive but never dries up and is unaffected by cold temperatures.

15. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

well it came back again this morning on the way to work. My speedo cable is less than 4 months old. Shhshhhh Don't say the waterpump LOL!! that sounds like work. It is def a rotating sound it did not wind up with the motor I don't believe my 85 X has a tach cable I think its electrical but I haven't looked closely. I doo believe also that it is in the speedo sys or (hopefully not) the wheel bearings although I had the front wheel assy apart for paint and balancing and the bearings seem very good nice and smooth with no roughness at all. I am beging to wonder if the grease I repacked the speedo drive with is too thick at 30* or so. It only happens about 25mph where there would be more stress or force on the speedo adaptor.

16. mfchapman

mfchapman Member

I know that noise. I heard it today for the first time. It was about 32 degrees here in Baltimore and definitely the coldest day I've ridden this bike. It's really left me with an awful feeling because when I heard this squeal I was on my way to put the bike up for winter, which I did. I hope warm weather will prove to be the antidote.

If it is the speedo or tach, what is actually making the noise?

If it is the starter is it potentially damaging?

17. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Under the right conditions of being cold enough; the speedo cable can make it sound like you have a Cop-Bike and an Old Fashioned Siren. Obnoxiously loud.

Disc Rotors will squeal. Tires will thump until they get warmed-up. You wonder if its the same bike you've always had or is this one that's swapped-out with yours just to scare you.