1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

comment on rear brake shoes-REPLACE!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cheezy66, Jul 2, 2010.

1. cheezy66

cheezy66 New Member

after reading several posts mentioning replacing the factory brake shoes, i ordered a set. when i pulled them apart, both shoes were delaminating from the aluminum. they weren't wore out by any means. thanks to the gurus who keep mentioning the brake issue. i thought i had cleaned/replaced/repaired everything on my bike, glad i was warned before i was forced to find i was wrong:)

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Good to hear. Let's continue to get this message out !!

4. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Can't post on that thread -- not good!!

Are there any theories on why some bikes are delaminated and some aren't? My bike didn't have any delamination (didn't stop me from replacing the brakes!).

I guess it has something to do with weather... it's pretty wintery here, maybe that helps "preserve" the laminate.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

W've collectively tried to figure it out. I threw up the original post when I took my '83 apart and discovered it. That bike had been inside-stored but had also sat most of its life. Its 7000 miles came in two quick bursts 4 years apart and then it was done.

It may have to do with humidity; I'm in exactly the same climate as you and the bike I've been talking about came from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin so once again, same climate.

I had it happen to me once YEARS AGO on a Honda automobile; never could quite figure it out. Now, in hindsight, the car had sat in a used car lot for a while...

(I guess the thread got locked when it got moved.) Thanks though, and thanks for sharing yet another reason to check those rear brakes, new owners!!!

6. ShiftyEddie

ShiftyEddie Member

I'm also in Michigan. Ive had my bike since April and though things seem ok i'm going to check mine out at the beginning of the week.

Curious to see what I find

Eddie