1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Compatible fuel tanks for an XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FairHB, Feb 3, 2006.

1. FairHB

FairHB New Member

The fuel tank on my XJ650 Maxim is in pretty bad shape. I was able to patch it, but it will need to be replaced eventually.

I am curious to know what other tanks are drop-in compatible with the XJ650J Maxim. Not to upset the purists, but I wouldn't mind swapping for a more street bike look (seca or similar). I am also looking for more fuel capacity.

I figure the seat could pose a problem as well, so tank/seat combo suggestions would also be appreciated.

2. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

I know the xj750 tank is bigger and will fit right on. As for the seca type seat I don't know

3. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    The seca seat mounts differently... the 82 650 I saw had the seat flip over on a hinge to the side... the maxims just comes right off.

There would be more work to make a maxim accept a seca tank and seat... but I suppose it would be possible.

4. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Replacement tanks cost a lot, if you can find one. If I were you I would clean up the one I have.

5. singingotter

singingotter Member

A Seca tank will fit on a Seca...an XJ750 non-Seca seat will fit perfectly on an XJ650 non-Seca. Along with the 750 tank you will also get a fuel level switch that you can connect an LED to and get a low fuel level warning light. You can get a tank for usually less than $100. As for buying a used tank...reline it with one of the epoxy kits...never have to worry about a leak again.

If you want a Seca tank for the look, find a buddy with one who is willing to allow you to take both the seat and the tank off of his bike and see how they fit on yours. I think the tank will bolt on perfectly, the seat may be a different issue, and I'd want both to be attached like an OEM.

I think your best solution is to buy a Seca tank and have your local bike seat upolsterer modify your seat to fit the Seca tank...without ever having seen one, I'm just not sure how that part of the seat near the tank works in... :?:

YMMV

6. Altus

Altus Active Member

Without some major mods, you're pretty much limited to other Maxim tanks. The tank you want is the XJ750 Maxim one - 19 liters instead of our 13 liter tanks = much longer range. Oh, and the bigger tank looks better on the bike too. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay, but others must be doing the same 'cuz the 750 Maxim tanks NEVER come up anymore....

7. FairHB

FairHB New Member

Yeah, it seems the tanks are hard to find no matter which option I consider. I got the bike from a friend who let it sit for five years in her garage. The condensation did it's toll on the tank, and after flushing it I uncovered some pinholes. Fortunately, they were on the underside, so I was able to patch them without effecting the overall appearance.

I was hoping an easier to find tank/seat combo option existed (like off a newer yamaha or similar). I will keep my fingers crossed and my eyes on the classifieds.

8. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

There selling new XJ650 Maxim tanks at http://yamaha-factoryparts.com/ for around $250. Not bad considering what it costs to have someone paint the tank is often times over 300 bucks. Try searching different years for lower prices and different colors.

9. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

10. woot

woot Active Member

Nice - he says it's 'too big' so I assume he has a 650 and doesn't like the 750 tank he brought.

If no one wants it I might chuck some bids at it...

11. Jazzmoose

Jazzmoose Member

I'm tempted, but I'm supposed to be watching the budget, so...

12. woot

woot Active Member

I'm going to look around the wreckers this spring - I'm not bidding on this one in casae anyone is being shy about it.

Looks like a decent tank - might want to ask the seller a few questions to make sure that it is a 750 tank that is clean.

13. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Does anyone have pics of the larger tank on a 650?
    In the pic of the tank on ebay, Is that the fuel sensor on the right side or is the petcock on the right side?

14. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

I read your post alittle to late Steve. I think I just bought a tank I can't use.

15. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

I e-mailed the guy selling this gas tank last night and ask what Maxim he believed it was from and the reply "i was told an xj750 here are the measurements 8in between front mounts 20in from front mount to back mount 26in total length 17in width"

16. Nick

Nick Member

my xj750 tank tank is only 4 1/2" between the front mounts, 20" between front and back mounts, 23" total length, and 13 1/2" wide at widest point.
    Fuel sensor and fuel valve are both on the left side.

17. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hey everyone, I've got an '82 750 SECA tank in really nice shape, maroon, with petcock, sending unit, gas cap and key, that I'd be willing to sell or trade for a standard 750 Maxim tank in decent shape. I plan to repaint so color is not an issue, dents and rust are (I prefer none). Let me know.

18. Crash Fistfite

Crash Fistfite New Member

Ok...so I know this is an OLD thread...but just to be clear, would an 82 xj750 tank drop onto my '80 xj650 with no modification? The original tank is in perfect shape, but I'd love to have the extra fuel capacity. Plus, it looks like the 750 tank is taller...so I think it would look pretty badass with my mini apes. I've found a couple of 82 xj750 tanks for sale in decent condition, at really good prices...and I figure if I got one...I could put a cool chopper paint job on it, and still have the original, unmolested tank to put back on if I ever decide to sell the bike.

Thanks!

Rev Crash

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Rev Crash, yes-- the up-to-1983 xj750 MAXIM tank is a bolt-on-&-go swap for the up-to-1983 650 MAXIM.

Counter to what an earlier poster said, the Seca and maxim seats are NOT drop in replacements. Even the ways they mount are different. Look at my full dress 650 max in the showcase-- that's a 750 max tank on there.

Last, do a forum search-- I did an extensive write--up on tanks awhile back.

Dave Fox

20. Crash Fistfite

Crash Fistfite New Member

Thanks Dave! I'm not a fan of the look of the Seca tank anyway...ill check yours out.