1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

did my starter relay go?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Blackout550, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

well when I was hooking up my brake light I blew a fuse, but I didnt see the fuse was bad it was barely noticable. So I started checking other things like relays etc. since it sounded like a kinda loud pop. Well I got my new fuse box put in and wired up and go to hit the start button and the oil light just comes on. But if I jump the starter relay manualy it will turn over. So is it my starter relay by the battery that could be toast now? its the only think I can think it is, And I had taken it apart so maybe I broke it idk. Any help thatd be great!

Or maybe I should just go around the relay and make a simple wiring harness now? idk

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

If you are getting and oil light with the pressing of the starter button, you know your button is good. You mention that jumping the solenoid allows you to spin the engine. Did you check to see if 12V is making it to the solenoid primary (the pigtail w/connector) winding? If you are getting voltage, try to bang on the solenoid with the handle of a hammer or use a mallet and tap the solenoid housing. If it works afterwards, consider this fair warning and look for a replacement.

3. desertrat

desertrat Member

Sounds like its either your relay or start button. Just check that the start switch is working first.

4. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

alright sounds good, I'll give both a closer inspection(and a beating). I didnt change anything and this just happened. but thats how wiring goes I guess, always a gremlin somewhere.