1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Driveway gravel...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Stumplifter, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Started researching this on the www and found waaaayyy too much information to make sense of it. So I thought it would be wise to poll a group of people who have a vast knowledge base - hence turning to my ole pals here on XJ Bikes.

Farm property needs a new layer of gravel for the driveway. Mostly sand loam for the actual earth up there. Originally it was a ‘two track’ driveway and that is getting grown over, pretty sure it was a full drive to begin with and over the years only two tracks remain. What are options for laying gravel and what TYPE of gravel? Some sites suggest dual rock sizes, I am cheap and the driveway is very long, estimate of 1,200 feet.

I want something that will last but can’t break the bank. Any thoughts, suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

had a driveway that was paved up the 2 tracks with concrete in each track.
    had a friend who did his drive way with the cutouts from 3 tab shingles spread them and after a while with the traffic and sun the cutouts fused together
    lasted at least 15 years.

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'll tell ya everything i know, it won't take long.
    #2 limestone is about 3/4 to 1 inch, i think of it as general purpose gravel
    i wanted a new parking spot in the yard and the guy at the building supply place said i wanted "crushed limestone base" don't know if that's a real name or not
    it was different sizes, from 2 inch down to dust, it worked great right over turf
    didn't take long, did it :)

Stumplifter likes this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

might also try to find a place that does paving. when they grind off the old asphalt sometimes they need to get rid of it, cheap

Stumplifter and cgutz like this.
  5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

My driveway is “DGB”.... Density Graded Base—- it’s been my driveway for about 25 yrs now

6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

We use a lot of what’s called “Roadbase” probably very similar to what @hogfiddles is talking about.its a mix of gravel and fine materials that compact well and hold up well in wet or dry conditions. Around here we sit on sand and clay that drains well but not very stable.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That’s what DGB is here.......