1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dual Headlights...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by rider550, Jan 23, 2011.

1. rider550

rider550 New Member

I know this has been discussed somewhere else, but want to ask...The small 4" dual headlights that can be found on ebay or roc city cafe parts, can they be used on a 82 Seca 550 with out taxing the electrical system? It should be noted that I have stripped my bike down to bare bones, meaning no turnsignals, no gauges at all, just a headlight and taillight....

2. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

fitz could probably give you the facts weather it it will work or not. I am sure he will answer your post. He da 550 man

3. Toecutter

Toecutter New Member

I have the dominator dual on my 650.. pretty draining, esp. when you hit high beams.. but it copes.. not sure how different the 550 system is though..

4. rider550

rider550 New Member

How about 550 owners? Any thoughts...

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The 550s are no different than the rest of the XJs; the electrical system was right at max capacity when new.

Yes you can do it; but to do it right the dual headlights should have their own relays, you need to replace at least some of the incandescent bulbs with LEDs to lessen draw, and the entire electrical system should be gone through and every connector cleaned and greased with dialectric grease. The alternator should be cleaned and have new brushes. Then you might actually pull it off.

Quick-n-easy plug-n-play headlight upgrade? Get an H4 kit.

6. rider550

rider550 New Member

Well, I pulled the turnsignals and the gauges off, that should by me some extra amps? Not looking for brighter light, just wanting to get rid of the banjo sized headlight on the front...

7. rider550

rider550 New Member

Well mounted up a set today, works just fine, drove around with the hi-beams on and even though doom and gloom was predicted, it is fine. Thanks for the heads up on possible issues, but none found here.

8. schooter

schooter Active Member

I ran around for the summer with 2 55W lights, no gauge, no blinkers, and 2 1157's for tail lights..worked fine

9. schnarr

schnarr Member

mines dominator duals but i do have it on its own harness with a better gauge wire and their own relays plus everything on my bike is LED with the exception of the gauge cluster.