1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dumb throttle question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FearsOfWar, Sep 30, 2013.

1. FearsOfWar

FearsOfWar New Member

I posted here a while back (probably a year or two) about something else, so I'll run this down again quickly.

This is my first bike. It's a very slow rebuild process due to economic restraints. I am far more knowledgeable about cars, so I have the basics of mechanic work down. However, being new to bikes, I KNOW I'm going to call something wrong, or ask a dumb question like this one here.

The plastic throttle cable guide piece that is up by the throttle lever (no idea what it's actually called) that also connects the nub at the lever end of the cable on my 1981 XJ750 SECA is broken.

Does anyone know the technical name of this part (or if it's sold as part of something else in a kit) so I can order a new one? Or is that even possible?

I am down to this piece, a brake rebuild, tires, and redoing the glass fuse box (it's not screwed down and some of the wiring looks bad anyway, so I'm probably just going to get a universal blade fuse box and just convert it over when I rewire all of it anyway).

I so badly want to get this bike back on the road. I've always wanted a bike.

2. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

That is called a throttle cam and it is usually a part of the solid throttle tube, goes underneath the right grip.

I couldn't find the stock unit except used ebay, so I ended up using the G2 throttle tamer, which lets your swap out cams for different conditions:

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-t ... ttle-tube/

3. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

XJ4ever ......PM Chacal for replacement of parts......he will have what you need....