1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical Gremlin Problem...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Will Akin, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Will Akin

Will Akin New Member

Hello all,

First off, thanks for your time and ideas!

So I’ve owned this 98’ Seca II for about 10 years now always ran great. However, in the past few years I’ve been riding it considerably less, down to about 200 miles a season the past couple years.

I’ve been trying to get it up a going for a while now and I am stumped. Starts up just fine with jumper leads (battery is bad). Here’s where it gets interesting. Starts and runs fine with jumpers, but as soon as it comes off runs like absolute garbage and will not rev whatsoever.

So consulting the manual in regards to charging system diagnosis:

Main fuse ok

Charging system at about 5v at idle (won’t go above idle to properly test)

Stator test shows all connections at about .5 resistance

I have replaced the stator last winter, seemed like it ran better but obviously couldn’t ride at that time in Chicago.

Replaced the voltage regulator this past week, same problem.

All wiring seems ok, one of the relays, the bigger one, seems to click a lot when bike is idling.

Not sure where to look next, any help is greatly appreciated!

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Welcome to the forum mate.
    Sounds like the battery has gone. Maybe 7 years maximum for a battery to last.
    I'd start there and with a new, fully charged one.

Franz and Rooster53 like this.
  3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Remember that the charging systems on these bikes does not do much until the PRMs get to 2500 or more. Below that its all up to the battery to keep things running. When you disconnect the jumper wires there is not enough voltage to properly operate the TCI, that's why it does not run good.
    I'll second getting a new battery, install it then check your charging voltage at 2500 RPM. it should be somewhere around 14v.

Franz likes this.
  4. Will Akin

Will Akin New Member

Awesome! I’ll do this, and let you know how it goes. That’d be great if it ends up just being a battery issue.