1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical/speedo questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wktiz, Mar 17, 2011.

1. wktiz

wktiz New Member

Hey guys,

Couple of electrical issues I'm hoping you might be able to help with.

When I turn the key, my headlight doesn't come on, but when I hit the starter it comes on, even if the bike doesn't start. Is that typical, or is this an easily-identified electrical issue?

Also, the turn signal doesn't snap back to center, and I've heard that cleaning it might help - any thoughts on how best to clean it?

Lastly, my speedo doesn't work - any ideas on whether or not this might just be the cable, or if I need to replace the entire instrument panel?

Thanks,

Bill

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

As for the speedo and the headlight issue you'll have to wait for one of the other guys to answer that. Sorry, just not in my knowledge base yet.

But, the signal switch sounds like it's doing what mine was. Mine would stick when sliding it to the right, and it wouldn't push in at all. Bought some CRC Electrical Cleaner spay (but any electrical cleaner will do) and sprayed it into the housing where the signal switch was, you can get the straw right up in there. Couple of spays and a few dozen times working the switch back and forth and now it works like a charm. Back to center every time and easy to push in to cancel, even with thick gloves on.

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Some bikes have a headlight relay. Sounds like your model does. The speedo may need service but I would pull the cable and spin the front wheel and see if the cable turns.

MN

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

If you have the model with the relay for the headlight (you do) then yes, the headlight should stay off until atleast one cylinder fires, then it comes on even of the engine doesn't start. It's better to shut off the switch and turn it back on before attempting to start the engine, so you have all the power going to the starter.
    Everytime you turn the switch off then on, you reset the relay to off.