1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Final Verdict on All Balls Bearings?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maximike, Dec 17, 2012.

1. maximike

maximike Member

So...I still need to do my front bearings(see earlier "water in wheel bearing" thread).

I have a couple places locally that have or can get kits in a couple days, but they all seem to be All Balls. I keep seeing conflicting reports all over the internets, "chinese junk" "great product" "30% the life of other bearings" "I put them in everything."

Some people also have said they don't come with enough grease in them. Seriously, what is the story? And if not All Balls, then what? I don't really see a kit that has Japanese, German, or American steel in the bearings. At least, not coming up in my searches.

What brand is Len (chacal) selling? I'd get them from him, but I'm impatient, and also don't want to pay shipping if I don't have to. Also, also, for all I know he's selling All Balls kits, since the catalog just says "aftermarket bearing kit" If I want good bearings from my local parts place or mechanic what should I ask for?

2. OzRoadbandit

OzRoadbandit Member

I go to the local CBC bloke over here. I normally get NTN sealed bearings. I fit them then forget about it. Job done. Haven't had a failure yet.

I have a camper trailer that has cheap chinese wheel bearings in it (fumina bearings I think ). I repacked them with a known grease..... so far so good.... not holding my breath on longevity though

I think the issue with cheap bearings is that the hardening may not be of a high quality and that is what fails....

my 2 bobs worth

3. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I put an all balls kit in the front wheel of my my maxim last summer, so good so far. I bought a kit for the rear as well, but have yet to put it in yet.

Another nice thing with the all balls kits is that you get all brand new seals with them.

seem good to me.

The seca's going to get them as well when the time comes.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Never had a problem withthem. I pack any bearings with greas when I get and install them regardless of whether they have anything in there or not...

Dave F

5. Super

I ordered a set last year for my GL1000, they didn't fit. I contacted them and found that 1977 was a frame transition year and mine had the earlier size. They sent me another set, no-charge. I offered to send the original set back and they said it wasn't necessary.

Very happy with the product and their customer service.

Dave

83 900
    77 GL1000

6. 79xs

79xs Member

Stay away from All Balls Racing bearings for on-road use. All they do is source the correct bearings and make kits with them. They are almost always made in China. The rubber they use for seals are junk. I do a lot of ATV riding in water/mud. I replaced 3 out of 4 ball joints on a Honda 4x4 ATV one year. 3 years later ALL the rubber on the All Balls Racing seals rotted off. The 9 year old OEM honda ball joint was still fine. NTN,Koyo, or SFK are the only bearings you would want to bet your life on. The stock bearing in your bike will have a part number on it. Use that to order the correct bearing from one of the three.

7. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    All Balls gives the cross reference on their pages. Take that info and get a set from timken, NTN, etc... Lower price. Better quality.

Ghost

8. maximike

maximike Member

I have the part number, but what about the seals? Are any of those other bearings gonna come as a kit? Cuz I need the whole thing.

9. Kwiski

Kwiski Member

Did rear transmission seal. Found bad bearing in rear wheel. Got from local bearing house. $8.00 for the smaller 2. $12.00 for larger one. $30.00 for cheap insurance.

10. Super

The "extra" set of "All Balls" bearings that didn't fit my GL are made by Timkin....USA

Dave

11. 79xs

79xs Member

Thats pretty slick then. Timken does make very good stuff so you lucked out there.

I'm not saying you are going to crash and burn if you use All Balls bearings..... BUT, the Koyo/NTN bearings in the bike lasted 20+ years. I have yet to see ANY china made bearing last more than a few years under heavy use. You wouldn't use a china made bearing in your motor so why would you use one when your life may depend on it?

12. maximike

maximike Member

Follow up on this. I did end up using the All Balls kit. I needed to replace the seals, so the that kit was only thing I could get locally. Seems like that's what all the shops carry. One guy told me they only started making a kit with the bearings and seals a year ago. No idea if that's true, but if so, that would explain why there's such a limited selection at parts stores and repair shops. I literally called every place I could think of that might carry bike parts, All Balls was the only choice.

The bearings themselves had a mark other than All Balls, I forget what, might have been NTN. Getting old ones out was no problem, just wiggled the spacer out of the way and pounded the bearing out with a giant screw driver and a hammer. The guy whose garage I borrowed happened to have this giant square wooden mallet, I have no idea why, but it was ideal for pounding the new ones in. (mallet made in Sheffield, England of all places)

I'll let you guys know in a few years if they wear out faster then expected :)

13. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

The wheel bearings in our XJ's are the same bearings used in alternator drive end applications. If you have a alternator rebuild shop near by, take the old bearings in and have them matched up. Unfortunately, many top bearing manufacturers are outsourcing to China. So you'll have to specify that you don't want Chinese made bearings. KOYO is probably the best out there. As for the seals, they will have to be had at a motorcycle supply.
    You may be thinking that these couldn't be the same bearings, but they are. Imagine having to handle the stress of a serpentine belt at high RPM's for extended time frames over a long time.

14. maximike

maximike Member

Yeah, as I said and other folks have mentioned, the bearings are no problem, I know the sizes and everything, it was the seals. No way to get the seals short of ordering on internet, too easy to use All Balls kit. I got tired of looking for an alternative to them when I'm not even sure there's good reason to avoid them.

15. Krafty

Krafty Member

I used ABR bearings in alot of stuff but...
    I know for the off road/ competition applications longevity is never a consideration. the average race bike or quad is only good for about 4 years before the major parts get wore out, then its time for major overhauls or a newer better bike.

Street applications if installed and maintained properly should last for a long time.