1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First post, seeking XJ1100 wisdom!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Keaton, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Hey everybody. Ive come to this site often for information and its helped a ton. I got an 82 XJ1100 MAXIM last month by trading a gun. Everything has been fine with how its been running, but as of last night it began to pop and backfire in the lower RPMs. Also, when i give it a little throttle in neutral the RPMs fluctuate a little. Ive studied what I'm able to observe, and when I got the bike it looked like somebody covered the carb boots in silicone. All 4 of them are dry rotted and cracked so this must have been a temporary fix. But ive noticed little moment when air will release from them. This seems to be the most obvious reason to me, so I have ordered a new set off ebay today. Other than that, there are 4 places that mufflers and headers meet. Under the third port there is a leak and also the muffler doesnt get hot there. The other 3 are very hot but the one isnt. It also isnt the one connected to the leaking carb boot (they all might be leaking for all I know, but ive only been able to see one leaking).
    So ive decided that I will take the carbs off and clean them this week while i wait for the boots to come.

My question is; has somebody experienced this same issue? Im trying to figure out the exact problem before I go spending more money. Ive heard it could be the spark plugs, the leaking hose, just about everything. so im hoping to gain some understanding here. This is my first bike. Ive never worked on them before, so im just learning a lot right now, and Im excited to get this thing fixed so I can take it back on the road.

Thanks for the help!

2. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

Hmmm ... I may love guns more than bikes. However, both are great if respected. If the boots have already been repaired, you may be best to replace them. Chacal has them. You can start a conversation with him or click on the icon in the upper right of the screen.

Of course, smarter folks are on the forum than me, and may have some ideas about repairing the boots.

Keaton likes this.
  3. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Already ordered new ones today! eagerly awaiting their arrival on saturday!

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That should se things right. I thin the 1100 boots also hav gaskets behind them. IF so get new ones and coat them with a gasket dressing (I use Permatex copper). If not then use a smear of RTV on the flanges to make sure they seal the first time.

Start soaking the munting bolts in Kroil or PB Blaster so they have a better chance of coming out without snapping. Since the boots are already toast you might consider using some heat to help the bols come out, but do that outside with a fire extinguisher handy.

Keaton and Jetfixer like this.
  5. Keaton

Keaton New Member

They do have gaskets, and the new set I ordered come with them. and Ill spray the bolts tonight! thanks for the heads up!

6. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Hey everybody. These two pictures are just for reference. That third pipe stays cold

Attached Files:

7. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

The leaking carb boots and clogged carbs are the root of all your problems.
    Replace the boots, I see you already have a set ordered.
    Rebuild the carbs, replace the throttle shaft seals and float valves.
    Adjust the valves, tune the carbs and ride.
    Look at xs11.com there is tons of information specific to the XJ1100 there. PM me is you have questions , I have 3 XJ11s and 2 XS11s, and a few friends with them that I take care of. I can answer any question you have.

Stumplifter and Keaton like this.
  8. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Thanks for the info! Looking online and not much luck finding the throttle shaft seals. Any advice as to where i can find some?

9. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Stumplifter and Lightcs1776 like this.
  10. k-moe

Start a conversation with Chacal for all your parts needs.

11. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Or start a conversation with Chacal , he is our parts supplier at xj4ever.com
    You will also need float needles / seats, bowl gaskets and mixture needle orings

12. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Ok, so the carbs are disassembled for the most part. having a hard time getting the pin out of the floaters, i plan on getting that tomorrow. My question now is; what should i let soak over night? Should i soak the carb slide diaphragms, minus the rubber part? I just some carb spray, and dip. Also, do i reassemble everything dry? or does anything need lubed up?

13. Keaton

Keaton New Member

And how should I clean these guys

Attached Files:

14. BigT

BigT Active Member

I would just spray them with carb cleaner.

Be very careful removing a stuck float pin, A broken float tower makes for a bad day.

How far did you disassemble? Did you break the rack and remove the idle mixture screws?

I would not soak the slide. Look up "Clunk Test". Explains how to clean the slide and the carburetor bore so the slide can travel with almost no friction.

15. k-moe

16. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Trash them, they should be replaced with new needle seat assemblies.
    Anything with rubber should NOT be soaked in carb cleaner. Buy a gallon of dip type carb cleaner and strip your carbs of everything and soak them. Spray cleaner won't do much for carbs that are gummed up.

k-moe likes this.
  17. k-moe

The little screens can be sprayed out and reused, or chucked if you put an inline fuel filter on the bike.

18. Keaton

Keaton New Member

I appreciate all the replies guys! This site its pretty awesome with how much you all know. I basically have everything cleaned and ready to reassemble. My only question now is, How should I clean these diaphragms? Should I remove the rubber piece and soak everything? I looked through THE CHURCH OF CLEAN and have watched some videos, but nothing that Ive found has addressed this directly. Also, all my gaskets are in good condition. maybe just need a light cleaning. are these ok to put back on? I appreciate all the help! Hopefully I have the bike up and running by tomorrow night!

19. k-moe

You do not clean the diaphragms.
    The slide gets a wipe with spray carb cleaner and the bore gets a light polish if needed. The Clunk Test

The slide SHOULD NOT be polished.

Your throttle shaft seals are 30+ years old, and it is highly doubtful that they are in good condition.

hogfiddles and Keaton like this.
  20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

BEST thing to do for those float valve bodies------ order new float valve assemblies. You'll get the float needle, valve body, o-ring, and beanie screen if you order the deluxe ones. If ALL that parts are new, you know you won't have a n issue there. well.....that's if you order from Len so you know you have the correct parts-------

k-moe likes this.