1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

FJ-600 : After Crash Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ChicoJim, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ChicoJim

ChicoJim Member

Well, teenage step-son and me finally retrieved the bike the other night, and spent the evening looking it over to figure out what it would take to fix it.

This is the bike that we had recently restored, and looked nearly showroom condition.

Well... as it slid in the wreck, it came to stop by hitting a tree about about 30mph. It hit the three perfectly on the bottom of the crankcase, between the wheels. This is exactly where the collector for the fancy Kerker exhaust was located. The impact drove the Kerker collector through the bottom of the crankcase, putting a hole about the size of a softball into the bottom of the engine casting. End of engine. End of transmission.

Same impact bent the carrier for the centerstand and rear swingarm, and bent the swingarm down. Front forks are also bent.

End of motorcycle.

I collected the police report about the incident. No mention of another driver, let alone a drunk driver. I then got the arrest reports for 4pm to midnight that day (crash happened at about 6pm). No female drunk driving arrests during that time.

He crashed the bike all on his own, plain and simple. Does he have a job? No. Does he have money? No. Will insurance cover this? No.

SOooooo... Look on the Parts for Sale section. There's a lot of good stuff that survived this wreck in perfect shape. Example, I just did the carbs, and it had new brakes, etc.

Live and learn. On to the next project. Will he get to throw a leg over it? Heck no.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

rrrgh. I have survived vehicle-murdering stepchildren (NOT one of my bikes however) I feel your pain.

Go find another chain-drive XJ and have at it.

3. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

aaaahhhh. I cringed at every report you gave in there. Well, I mean if you are close to your step son, who cares about the bike (ok, you can care a little). Man, that hurts. Now I understand why my father would look at me x eyed when I would take is 57 nomad out. OMG, if I had dinged that car. BTW, she is mine. Eventually. I'm in no hurry. I suppose the 57 t bird and 66 lemans (original owner) is mine too.

It's just a piece of metal. It sucks that so little is salvagable though...

4. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Dam what a shame, after seeing your finished project I was kicking my butt for not buying the $500 fix'er'upper here last year.

Really like the style of the FJ