1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Flasher Relay

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JBL357, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JBL357

JBL357 New Member

Can the flasher relay be replaced by an alternative relay like a cheaper one for trailer turn signals... how easy or difficult is the process. I am using the stock front turn signals and some aftermarket for the rear double filament not led's. I am getting no clicking noise to indicate the flasher is working my ground within the turnsignal switch to the handlebars is fine. no power at all to the lights. indicator light for turn signals doesnt come on. solder is good at switch, fuses are also good.

2. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

a. is battery good/charged?
    b. did you properly wire/ground the dual filament rear signals? If only 2 wires, it is trying to get ground thru the bolt/frame. Black is ground. Green is left? blinker and Chocolate Brown is the right blinker wire on the original housing. Aftermarket sometimes use black for power not ground and/or odd color combinations.
    c. are all the bulbs MAX 27w?
    d. are all the bulbs/fixtures good? Try hot wiring them directly to the battery very briefly.
    e. if original fuse box... is the fuse/connection REALLY good?
    f. its suppose to be easy to replace the relay. I bought one off ebay (for LED use) but have not had time/good weather to pull my original from underneath the tank (somewhere). You don't need "trailer" flasher, regular car flasher relay should be fine. Some come in different "click" noises.
    g. if have a tester, make sure all the wires are good going to the actual blinker assemblies.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sounds like a mis-wire in the rear lights. If all of the bulbs are 27W like the stockers, it should kick the relay; it won't if your battery is low however as Bob said.

In answer to your original question, yes; but you'll lose the self-canceling feature.