1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

flickering headlight at high rpm

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by taustreng, Jun 23, 2012.

1. taustreng

taustreng New Member

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a bind. At high rpms my lights (head lamp and dash lights) flicker on and off like crazy and get dim. I have the fuses done with the new inline fuses and the battery is new. I also just fixed my regulator when one of the connectors almost melted out of the plastic connector, I put a new used regulator in and jumped the wire across the connector.

At this point I really don't know where else to turn so I was hoping someone on here could give some advice or point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

2. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Where does the problem start? What RPM range?

What did you change immediately before the problem arose? Chances are if you changed something in your electrical system and didn't replace with parts that were new or verified to be properly functioning before you installed them that part may be the problem. Swap back to your old parts to see if the problem goes away.

Have you checked all your connections to be sure nothing is lose in your wiring? Tighten any loose connections.

Are any of your wiring connections discolored, corroded, rusted, etc? If so, clean them thoroughly.

EDIT:

Please also update your profile with your location and bike information. It helps us help you diagnose problems and maybe someone is close enough to be able to offer some one-on-one live assistance.

3. taustreng

taustreng New Member

John thanks for the incite, after checking my wiring more carefully I found that the bolts holding my coils on almost fell out and on those bolts were my light grounds. I put new bolts in and tightened everything up and it works like a dream!

Also ill get on getting my info updated on my profile.

Thanks again!