1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

forgive me in advance...where's that reservoir?!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sanchez, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sanchez

sanchez New Member

Hi guys. I'm new to the site and just bought my first motorcycle 2 weeks ago. Its a 1982 seca 750. Its in immaculate condition and runs amazingly.

I have the original owner's manual and have been trying to locate my brake fluid reservoir as my warning BRK light came on. I've searched the forums and have seen pictures, but I can't make sense of its location in the context of all the printed diagrams. does anyone have a real life picture or something?

I removed the plastic handlebar cover and front lower high beam to see where the brake cable leads and think I might have an idea, but a picture would be golden. thanks again.

2. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    The reservoir is generally on the right hand bar. It is the small 1" wide, 2" long, 1" deep black box with a small 3/8" diameter clear sight glass on the front edge. It should have two Phillips screws holding the cap on.

?

3. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
  4. slickonline

slickonline New Member

If you have a cable front brake the reservoir is located behind the right headlight mounting bracket turn the bike full lock to the left and you should see a small black plastic screw you fill it from there

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

You will probably need to remove the headlight to get at the reservoir. It's not easy to get at and you will need to remover two screws on the top, which is another magic trick. You will need a very short screw driver to get the top off. I found that if you take out the screw that holds the reservoir onto the fork, you will be able to pull it out far enough to get at the screws (be careful, it's mounted to a steel brake line)
    It's got to be the dumbest idea I've seen to keep the fluid reservoir off the handlebars. I am thinking about just getting a brake lever/reservoir off of another bike and getting rid of the stock setup with that stupid cable. It would make it so much easier to maintain the front brake system that way. What the hell is wrong with having the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebars anyways? OK, I'm done ranting about it. I'm over it...I will refuse to go to therapy....I'll just ride!!!

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Painter--what would you use, I've heard the XS 11 unit improves the brakes on the turbo 650.

I've also heard the turbo takes different calipers than the 750 Seca.

My turbo is missing the master and calipers and I'm interested in any interchangability.

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Timetoride,
    If you have a single caliper front brake, all you need is a flat (what your looking for) single caliper master cylinder of just about any bike that has 7/8 handlebars. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha will work. I found several of them on Ebay. If there is a salvage yard near by, I'm sure you'll find several of them there too.
    *Riding with a master cylinder at an angle is not a problem as long as the fluid is above the outlet hose.

8. wfuglaar

wfuglaar Member

Here's a picture of the master cylinder on my '82 Seca 750. Sorry my photography isn't better, but I think you can get the location from this.

The reservoir is filled by removing the hex screw and cap. The real trick is finding a small enough funnel to fit into the opening. I've a one pint plastic squeeze bottle, similar to a catsup or mustard bottle, that I use.

If you can't see what you need in this photo, let me know and I'll try again.

Good luck and enjoy your bike.

Attached Files:

9. sanchez

sanchez New Member

Thank you guys. Yea, if the reservoir was sitting pretty like that atop the handlebars I would've been ashamed to post, but mines a cable brake so the pictures you supplied Wfuglar was awesome. Thank you guys so much. This is exactly why forum communities are awesome. oh and also, anyone in the southern California area? I haven't see any other of our great xj maxim/seca brethern.

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Thanks Painter, Your bike needs a little maroon detail on the rear fender, and damn it must be loud !!
    Can you attach a -WAV file ? Let's hear it !

11. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I just installed that rear fender this winter and didn't get the chance to re-paint the bike just yet. There will be some other colored graphics to brighten things up when I'm done.
    The bike isn't all that loud. Those little mufflers have baffles inside them that keep the sound down to a nice low rumble. I don't need to wake up the neighbors at 5 a.m. when I go to work. PD

12. worm

worm Member

Sanchez,
    If you remove the plastic cover on top of the handlebar clamps(center cover) it makes it much easier to access.

Be sure to post some pics of the immaculate ride when you can!
    Good luck and welcome.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Yup, I'm in Ventura.
    I've two XJ750 Secas and spare parts.