1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front brake

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Stoopkid22, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Stoopkid22

Stoopkid22 Member

anyone ever run an xj with no front brake? Can you do that with the stock wheels? Or do you need to get a special rim? Thanks for any information.

2. Josh phillips

Josh phillips Member

I think you can just remove all of the brake assembly and be fine. I never understood why bobbers and choppers do this though maybe you can help me understand. Front brake is like 90% of braking. I know its just because my back brake is in dire need of help right now but it barely stops me lol

3. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

the front brake actually accounts for about 70% of the braking force. as fast as these bikes are, I would not consider removing 70% of my stopping ability. just sayin'

FU

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Stoopkid22

Stoopkid22 Member

A couple of my buddy's don't run a front brake. They said its a lot to get used to but they love it. They also run jockey shifts. Which would be even harder. I was just wondering how much work would be involved

5. GFunk

GFunk Member

I never understand why anyone would ever run a bike without a front brake, same way I dont understand why anyone would get on two wheels without a helmet. To each his own I suppose #darwin

Josh phillips likes this.
  6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Running without a front brake goes well beyond "getting used to it." Sure, if you see a stop sign a quarter mile up the road, you can begin you stop well in advance and come to a controlled stop. However, you must always consider the panic stop, when someone pulls out in front of you and you need all the braking force you can get to stop in the shortest distance possible.

Without a front brake, you WILL extend the braking distance at any speed. And that distance can mean the difference between safely coming to a stop (within inches of an accident) and not even coming close to stopping in time. No matter how much you get used to it. It's not about skill, it's about physics, and the physical limitations of traction when braking with only the rear wheel.

It's really more like driving around in a car with a giant spike sticking out of the steering wheel. Sure, you can get used to it and maneuver around it when you get into the car, and get used to reaching around it and pushing hard against the steering wheel when you have to panic stop. But one minor fender-bender...

GFunk and Josh phillips like this.
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you don't need special anything, just take the lever off.
    those "jockey" shifters are really called suicide shifters , there's a reason for that

GFunk and Josh phillips like this.