1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

front brakes clicking ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rspaulding, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Rspaulding

Rspaulding New Member

Does anybody else have thier front brakes make a clicking or rattling noise when they are not being applied. It really only seems to make it at low speeds putting around. The PO said it was nothing to be alarmed about and the brakes seem to be very good. Well as good as any antiquated brake system can be :)

2. bill

bill Active Member

There is a retainer clip that sometimes gets left out. You should check to see if it is missing. It sits in a slot with the rear part of the brake pad.

3. Turkey

Turkey Member

Mine was doing this also, and I didn't have a retainer clip. I put a couple of O rings around the top of the brake pad where it sits in the caliper. Just seemed like the pads were fitting a little loose.

4. bill

bill Active Member

Yup they would be loose without the clip. How is your break working? I would be worried about the o ring dragging and causing a bind....

5. Turkey

Turkey Member

I havn't had a problem with it at all. They wernt clicking to start with, but had a little squeal in them. so I put some of the brake lube on the mounts, and that loostend them up to start clicking, so I did the o-ring thing. That was about 2000 miles ago.

6. bill

bill Active Member

Cool - very interesting.

7. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

mine click too, havnt checked to see if the clip is missing

8. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

hey guys get that clip, i forgot how to put mine back in the other day after checking the pads and it was getting dark, i button it all back up and said its cool, then went to work, like 2 mile fine, on the way back lots of noise. checked the xj cd and put it back in no more noise.

9. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

you wouldn't think the little clips are too expensive hmmm I wonder if Chacal will chime in with Brake parts are us??